singing with hold back?

Rate this topic

VideoHere

It would be great to hear you post a sample, Bob, of yourself or someone else doing this, so we're not guessing too much. But it sounds like you are talking about that CVT calls curbing and SLS calls mixed voice.

Steven Fraser: If you sing an Uh as in "hungry", I as in "sit" or O as in "woman" on a note just above your passagio, say an A4, with medium volume - will it automatically have this "hold"? I wonder if maybe there is no way to sing those 3 vowels above your passagio in medium volume without using the hold. It would be very interesting to hear your take on this! :)

Steven, any comments on this?

Steven, any comments on this?

Jonpall: Automatically have a hold? No. The hold is a sensation related to the technique being used for the note. THere are other options, for example, to sing the note with metal-like neutral, or with a twangy neutral.

All that is flavored a bit by the vowels being chosen, too. If, for example, a singer does some 2nd-formant tuning to the 3rd or 4th harmonic up top, and if that is done with 'hold', then the tone will be quite resonant, that is, more than 'medium volume'. It will have distinctive 'ring'.

In discussions like this, I think its helpful to remember also that one guy's 'loud' is another's 'medium'.

Wow guitartrek/geno! I really love your sound on those higher notes man, I adore that really compressed but clean sound. I'd love to hear a little clip of you curbing going from light to heavy. When I curb lightly it is fairly easy and sounds pleasant enough, but when I try to make it more intense and powerful I either break into pulling my chest or just twang way too much :D