Too pushed in belt?

Rate this topic

This goes along with my other thread, and yes I am now a premium member :)

I'm just starting to exercise my belt voice, and I'm wondering because it sounds SO different than my higher range whether it's ok to keep belting here or whether I'm pushing it too hard. This quick recording of Hallelujah was done on my computer with just the mac mic (so I'm peaking out) and I gave up on the recording because my husband got home and the dogs were about to go nuts. https://soundcloud.com/bevin-hernandez-1/hallelujah-unfinished

The other recording of Your Song is done in my head/mixed voice.https://soundcloud.com/bevin-hernandez-1/v1_yoursong-1

They sound like they've been done by two different people :( My question is...is it ok to keep working low in belt to try to reach a better mix? Am I pushing too hard? Anything else that you want to share?

• Administrator

Hi Bevin,

Welcome to the Review My Singing service at TMV World.

Your review...

Hallelujah:

- Nice! I would say this is more then decent... good job!

- The main thing that comes to mind with this is, you need dynamics. All songs, typically need dynamics, but this song IN PARTICULAR, MUST have soft dynamics. Your volume levels seem to be a bit, mono leveled... and I think you could benefit a lot from interpreting the lyrics better in here. It is something I could help you wth in one lesson. There are nuances in this song and interpretations that are right in front of you, but you are not aware of them, that would make this a lot better.

You Song:

- Again, some sensitivity to dynamics and interpretation would help a lot here. 

- Your voice has a lovely, feminine sound color to it that is favorable in my view. I wouldn't mind working to help you warm it up a big more by dampening the larynx and working with some special singing vowels / formants to tune your songs to to get more warmth in your song. I know you just purchased The Four Pillars of Singing, so be sure to go through the "TVS Specialized Onsets" module and the "TVS Acoustic Mode" modules... also, watch the video on larynx dampening... and read the content in the book about these things. You will need to practice shading in some curbing vowels to your overall sound color, it will take what is already pretty nice, and make it even better.

Bevin, you would benefit from some song / interpretation coaching.