Sign in to follow this  
JordyGl

Live performance microphone question

Rate this topic

I just have a basic question about performing live.

Do vocalists/singers use any effects while they perform live, assuming it depends on genre if they actually do.

I was debating this with a friend, I thought that most of them just used a somewhat studio-like effect while performing live and my friend told me most of the artists out there are purely singing with a clear voice without effects.

So can anyone verify this? :-)

Kind regards

Some do. Especially solo musicians who use looping modules. But there are any number of live performances where you can hear delay on the singer's mic. And FOH guy at the board adjust eq, etcetera. Some kind of compressor before going to mains out.

The closest you can get to no effects is playing for a small band with no pa, so you borrow or get a bass amp to sing through. Even then, you are probably going to adjust the eq on the amp, depending on the room you are singing in.

EQ is a must for any level of good sounding vocals over a band. Compression is a must on bigger concerts, and I might argue for smaller ones too. Reverb and/or delay is the next most common, which has been present at varying degrees in 100% of the concerts I've seen. Those 3 or 4 are always present in pro-level rock concerts, but when done well, the audience can't tell. Other effects depend on the soundman, song, band, and singer.

I own a multiefects unit especially designed for vocalists. Whenever I have band practice or performance I have it with me. It gives me a complete independence from the "sound guy/girl", and it makes a huge difference in the sound, providing me with the tools to not only sound great, which I already do (lol), but especially to sound more professional. I really like it, and so my bandmates. Cheers