James LaBrie & Dream Theater's Instrumental Tracks

Rate this topic

Stan

Hey guys,

I was listening to James singing (vocals & keyboards only) the DT song "Wither"...I'm noticing how much he inhales and when. Does anyone think he's using too much breath to sing one sentence? I'm singing along...and I'm using the same amount of breath he does by inhaling with him,...and I already have air stuck in my throat... I think it caused breath overload, lol. Maybe it just works for Labrie

Get the Producer's Edition of the latest DT album and you can have the instrumental and isolated tracks and use them to practice. It's pretty cool.

What I was really doing was 'song mapping', as Jaime Vendera explains in his book. I wanted to see how i'd sound and feel if I followed LaBrie's breathing. I wasn't trying to mimic his tone or sound like him but track his breathing and sing in his key with him. But the result wasn't that great for me, lol. I think it was too much air that I inhaled, and all that unused air kinda got stuck in my throat and left a tense feeling. Nothing hurt, and my voice was fine. Just I felt all that air was sitting in my throat.

But the thing is, I tried singing the song a different way by inhaling barely any breath at all... and I get the same feeling of air in the throat? It never happened before. It doesn't hurt my voice but it's rather annoying to have this feeling...almost like tension. Anybody know why this happens?

The breathy sound is part of the vocal production, just like the delay/reverb processing, the pitch correction, and the multi-tracking. It is all engineered to sound a certain way (and boy does it sound amazing!) Never forget that an album is a static piece of art, it's not a performance, no more than a film is a theater production. It must sound better than perfect, which is why these techniques are always used.

The breath sound is definitely what they wanted in the recording. He may be intesifying the sound of it (by twanging a little during inhale) and not necessarily breathing in as much as it sounds like.

I'll have to check out that producer's edition and see what thats all about. Thanks for posting it.