Gsoul82

What Is It About A Voice That Gives People Chills?

Rate this topic

I think lots of people here might have heard somebody say that a voice gave them chills. What is it about a voice that can trigger this kind of response in somebody's body? This question could also even be extended to an emotional response period.

G, Rather than dwell on the reasons, I'll give you an example and see if it does anything for you folks.

This one section gives me chills every time i hear it. Start at 3:00 then listen at 3:18 she goes and flips her head back then she sings this "mm" kind of crying run till 3:29. This run gives me chills.

And of course she is sexy as hell which doesn't hinder anything either...lol!!!

2 hours ago, VideoHere said:

G, Rather than dwell on the reasons, I'll give you an example and see if it does anything for you folks.

This one section gives me chills every time i hear it. Start at 3:00 then listen at 3:18 she goes and flips her head back then she sings this "mm" kind of crying run till 3:29. This run gives me chills.

And of course she is sexy as hell which doesn't hinder anything either...lol!!!

Aaaand VideoNow steps right up to the challenge!

For a second, I thought I had actually stumped everyone. Found a question that nobody has even one answer to. I was waiting for Rob to show up with my trophy :D

I listened to it. She looked like she really poured it into that one.

Imagine if you could control giving somebody that kind of response throughout their body. Very powerful. Like magic.

Sorry it took so long G,      This is what moves me an gives me chills

This stuff just makes me wish I could do the same without holding back............... But when I do, I choke and I'm left with more frustration instead of Emotional release like it sounds as if these singers are getting.

Here's another that affected me when I heard her sing this.

Just mezmerized me...the tonal quality and emotion, the sincerity, the little vocal acoutrements, no ridiculous runs.

The construction of human ears and hearing ability is tuned to around the 1.5 to 2 kHz region. This is also the average range of a crying infant. Being able to hear and react physically to that range turned out to be advantageous to humans living long enough to reproduce another generation. Singing is a side effect of that.

ron (the singer's Richard Dawkins) ws

18 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

I think lots of people here might have heard somebody say that a voice gave them chills. What is it about a voice that can trigger this kind of response in somebody's body? This question could also even be extended to an emotional response period.

It could be anything it's like what turns you on, or what you look for in a mate.  Personally I live for music that gives me goosebumps and what really gives me goosebumps is great belts, or interesting imaginative vocal technique.

7 hours ago, MDEW said:

Sorry it took so long G,      This is what moves me an gives me chills

This stuff just makes me wish I could do the same without holding back............... But when I do, I choke and I'm left with more frustration instead of Emotional release like it sounds as if these singers are getting.

No need to apologize. The topic was just posted. It's just not often here that 10 different explanations aren't formulated to explain something.

People keep mentioning about the ring /ping, Power or high notes............ All that is good but representing the emotion, or having the ability to transmit it to others is what sends me chills.

I should have posted the live version of "Stay", It better represents what was going on in the song. The video was powerful enough, but at the end of the song when she says "I'm up off my knees"............ I feel the power and confidence of one who is through with begging and found the strength to let go of a bad relationship and go out on her own, It gives me chills every time.

20 minutes ago, Sexy Beast said:

Yellow speedos!

Oooooooooooooooooo.....

Look guys, kick my ass if you want, but I gotta bring this one in from Lou Gramm ONLY because of the level of intensity and where he goes with his voice on this LIVE performance. Maybe you folks have, but I have never heard such a blood curdling screaming YET melodic vocal.

How you can do this kind of intensity up high, that powerful sounding, and rich just blows me away!

If you care to, listen to the song "I'm gonna win" starting at 11:30 there's spots in the song that are just blood curdling (in a good way..LOL).

10 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

Yellow speedos!

There might be something to that. It might make people shut their eyes and then other senses get stronger ;)

12 hours ago, Sexy Beast said:

Yellow speedos!

That and Daniel's pink cowboy hat. Works for me. \m/

On July 14, 2016 at 3:56 PM, VideoHere said:

Here's another that affected me when I heard her sing this.

Just mezmerized me...the tonal quality and emotion, the sincerity, the little vocal acoutrements, no ridiculous runs.

You've just reminded me that I do get chills when I hear certain runs. I've gotten into the habit where I hear somebody singing, usually somebody with Jazz influence, and I hear them begin a run, and in my head I automatically try to guess how they're going to navigate through and finish it. I think of it kind of like in basketball, where one guy will try to guard the guy with the ball, by predicting which way he is going to move, and the guy with the ball will cross up the guy guarding him and get past him. Certain note selections will give me chills. It's like I never saw them coming.

I've actually managed to give myself chills a couple of times the same way, by improvising. There's one that gets me every time at least somewhat, when I sing a certain song. I start it in falsetto and then descend into the deeper part of my range and hit it with some vibrato. It's like a warm embrace. I think emotion has something to do with it for sure.

To me are those moments that transcend... I don't know other ways to put it, and it applies to music in general. For example, the last concert of maestro Karajan, which I've linked before around here I believe...

Even being already weak (died a year after that), when he gets into the performance its almost as if he changes into something else, his command over the whole  is so strong and natural that the audience knows he is finished just from his body language... And Jessye Norman singing is wonderful... Highly technical but visceral at the same time.

18 hours ago, The Future Vocalist said:

Or scream a 6th octave note in fright :24:

Heh, and that might then reciprocate the feeling by giving the speedo guy chills.

Emotion gives me chills, even if sometimes poor in technique or pitchy.

Also, the build up and handling of the rollercoaster of emotions in a song is crucial.

This is an example of what gives me chills. She sings it so fragile at times, yet so powerful and sincere. And she expresses it with her body and face. The build up , as I say, is really important, so the complete song is what gives me chills, only that they happen at the end when she does that improvised belting. And then when she calms down and lowers intensity adds to that roller coaster of emotions. And on top of that, to be able to do that as nicely as she did, you must have very good control, so I also admire her technically. 

As I said, it all adds.  

EDIT: I just listened to it again ( I posted without opening the video) and I got the chills when she says "I've never learned to hold on.....*and then a spoken* yeah. Hahahah Full goosebumps. And then from 2:35 and on, she feels so free. Its like crying out loud.

Its like, idk... It feels so sincere

On 7/17/2016 at 0:48 AM, Xamedhi said:

Emotion gives me chills, even if sometimes poor in technique or pitchy.

Also, the build up and handling of the rollercoaster of emotions in a song is crucial.

This is an example of what gives me chills. She sings it so fragile at times, yet so powerful and sincere. And she expresses it with her body and face. The build up , as I say, is really important, so the complete song is what gives me chills, only that they happen at the end when she does that improvised belting. And then when she calms down and lowers intensity adds to that roller coaster of emotions. And on top of that, to be able to do that as nicely as she did, you must have very good control, so I also admire her technically. 

As I said, it all adds.  

EDIT: I just listened to it again ( I posted without opening the video) and I got the chills when she says "I've never learned to hold on.....*and then a spoken* yeah. Hahahah Full goosebumps. And then from 2:35 and on, she feels so free. Its like crying out loud.

Its like, idk... It feels so sincere

That was great.

G,

More "This gives me chills" moments for ya...My God!!  From 3:20 to the end.

Now we're hearing what twang does to a voice.

If people don't react to her emotion and vocal skill, they are from another planet...LOL

@JonJon

Nice!. Its you I presume. Sounds a bit like Muse.

On some points your voice seemed to relax and open more, on the mid range details, for example "the way you living" near the end. One hell of a powerful timbre you have to work with.

10 hours ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

@JonJon

Nice!. Its you I presume. Sounds a bit like Muse.

On some points your voice seemed to relax and open more, on the mid range details, for example "the way you living" near the end. One hell of a powerful timbre you have to work with.

Thanks brother, really appreciate it.

I put up an updated full mix in the review section. What I posted above was sort of a joke mix after I got some criticism on another site about how bad the original mix was lol. So I stripped it down to just dry drums and vocal ovdubs lol

Yeah, another guy said the same thing about Muse. Thats weird cuz ive never listened to them AFAIK

yeah, there were a ton of vocal ad libs tacked on and I sang with a few different vibes. I can probably do 6 or 7 main things with my voice so far, maybe more, who knows. Of course I cant remember them all at once so whatever comes out just comes out

Most of that is very lightly supported since I have been doing a lot of light mass training for about a month. I havent really messed with too much heavy supported/compressed stuff yet, but I did start some this week. I hit a few notes after I was really warmed up where I was trying to support really strong but at the same time keep the throat relaxed and open and some NICE high stuff same out. of course I was at work with no recorder etc. Im scared to blast out like that in my apartment...might have cops at my door lol