Soulshine (govt. mule cover)

Rate this topic

Okay TMVers,

I am an old guy in my first band. We have been playing once a month or so for about a year, I also play the rhythm guitar (which thankfully is barely audible lol). This tune is from our Dec. 17 gig, toward the end of the third set so I am a bit hoarse.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/9/1421395/My%20Documents/soulshine%2012-17.mp3

Great song and I really like the smoky blues feel in your voice. After the bridge, your voice was just a little brighter, which helped your vocals cut through a little better. I don't know if it was the stage mix or the recording mix, but the lyrics were in danger of being swallowed up by the band. But that's all just aesthetic concerns with the recording.

As for the hoarseness, it adds a layer of tone that adds great emotion but you might find things easier if you smile just a smidge. What this does is structure the throat a little better to support singing, especially higher parts, even when one is a little hoarse. This will brighten the tones just enough that you can be heard without straining. It's a physical to produce what is called twang. I'm not saying that you need to sound like Dennis DeYoung of Styx. I just wanted to hear your voice more clearly. Other times, when the band dials down, I can hear you fine and it sounded really good.