Rate this topic

Microphone Ergonomics  

2 members have voted

  1. 1. Does your microphone have a THIN "shank" ( handle ), making it comfortable to the hand?

    • Yes.
    • No.
      0
    • I don't understand.
      0


Recommended Posts

Received my new Shure BETA 57a today.

Mic Ergonomics is an important consideration. I typically don't use the front line Shure live mics because there are so many other, more exotic options to use that sound just as great if not better. However, I do like the thin "shank" on this mic because it fits well in a singer's hand. Ok, I'm microphone geeking. Thanks to Robert Gardunia, my student for the inspiration to add one to my collection.

Shure Beta 57a_Fotor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Received my new Shure BETA 57a today.

Mic Ergonomics is an important consideration. I typically don't use the front line Shure live mics because there are so many other, more exotic options to use that sound just as great if not better. However, I do like the thin "shank" on this mic because it fits well in a singer's hand. Ok, I'm microphone geeking. Thanks to Robert Gardunia, my student for the inspiration to add one to my collection.

 

It looks really nice Robert, congrats! Does that thing (connected to the bottom) make it wireless? Which brand and model is that? If you don't mind me asking. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Received my new Shure BETA 57a today.

Mic Ergonomics is an important consideration. I typically don't use the front line Shure live mics because there are so many other, more exotic options to use that sound just as great if not better. However, I do like the thin "shank" on this mic because it fits well in a singer's hand. Ok, I'm microphone geeking. Thanks to Robert Gardunia, my student for the inspiration to add one to my collection.

Shure Beta 57a_Fotor.jpg

Coach,

I purchased the Beta 57a shortly after it was released. While it does fit well in my hand, like you I prefer some of my other mics. Such as : The E/V 767a, the Rode M-1, and my all time favorite, the Sennheiser e945, just to name a few. I'm not quite sure what it is about the Shure Beta 57a, but it just doesn't seem to suit my voice.

Gneetapp,

I could be mistaken, but it looks as though Robert is using the Samson Airline Wireless system. Although, it looks as though he's made some changes. Such as the silver coloring and adding the tape. My guess would be that over the years, he's used it so much, he had to add the tape where the battery compartment is located.

I purchased the Samson Airline Wireless system several years ago and have yet to experience any problems. At the time I purchased mine, it was $249.99. I noticed the price is now $269.99. But it's well worth the investment ! I don't know about others, but the range on mine is nearly 200 feet !

Here's a link for your convenience :

http://astore.amazon.com/thevocastudin-20/detail/B002BSHA1G

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Adolph Namlik said:

Coach,

I purchased the Beta 57a shortly after it was released. While it does fit well in my hand, like you I prefer some of my other mics. Such as : The E/V 767a, the Rode M-1, and my all time favorite, the Sennheiser e945, just to name a few. I'm not quite sure what it is about the Shure Beta 57a, but it just doesn't seem to suit my voice.

I love the Sennheiser e945! My Heil Fin has a PR20 in it, which is a bit warmer than the Sennheiser. It reminds me of a tube mic. I love it. However, most sound men are used to the Shure mics and complain about my mic, then try to trick me to think it won't work in their venue by overtaking the EQ. I'm a trained mastering engineer! I know exactly what they're doing to try and "fool" me. You can tell when a sound man takes his job seriously when they both look at the rider beforehand and look up the mics you have listed so they're prepared.

That is definitely a Samson Airline 77 on the mic in the picture. I think I'm going to try one out on my Heil Fin. I also think I'm going to mod my Fin so that the LEDs run on a separate battery pack, rather than phantom power; otherwise, I'll end up with a 6-inch stick coming out of the back of my mic, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most dynamic mics have a think shank. Such as my Sennheiser E835. All you have to do now is not cover the grill with your hand when singing. Now, I know that is difficult for some singers, but it is worth the effort to not cup the head of the mic, do not cover the grill. Unless pureed doggy doo-doo is the sound you are going for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 27, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Adolph Namlik said:

I could be mistaken, but it looks as though Robert is using the Samson Airline Wireless system. Although, it looks as though he's made some changes. Such as the silver coloring and adding the tape. My guess would be that over the years, he's used it so much, he had to add the tape where the battery compartment is located.

I purchased the Samson Airline Wireless system several years ago and have yet to experience any problems. At the time I purchased mine, it was $249.99. I noticed the price is now $269.99. But it's well worth the investment ! I don't know about others, but the range on mine is nearly 200 feet !

Here's a link for your convenience :

http://astore.amazon.com/thevocastudin-20/detail/B002BSHA1G

Thanks Adolph. I will check it out. I think it should not interfere with my vocal FX, plus it looks good having a wireless mic when I'm just singing without the guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gneetapp said:

Thanks Adolph. I will check it out. I think it should not interfere with my vocal FX, plus it looks good having a wireless mic when I'm just singing without the guitar.

My pleasure, Gneetapp. No, it shouldn't interfere with your FX. I'm using the TC Create and the Mic Mechanic and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. AND, the manual is very easy to understand unlike the manual that comes with my Antares Vocal Producer. Speaking of which, the Antares, which was bought out by Tascam have put way too much emphasis on Auto Tune unlike Antares. But the Antares has some very cool features as well, such as Mic Modeling, parametric EQ, compressor/gate, and a de esser.

No, I'm not trying to encourage you to spend a ton of money, but rather just add a little more to the conversation.

Yes, I'm sure you'd be pleased with the Samson Airline Wireless system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now