Lost part of my voice

Rate this topic

I have had this heavy cold since Christmas. It started to go away and as it was going I continued to practice sirens; but I have lost a good part of my voice and have swelling in one of my ears and am unable to train.
This groggy voice I have, I had for about a week now and is not going away.
The doctors in this country are a waste of space.

Any ideas please

What I would normally have my students do:

1. Regular Nasal Rinses with a Netti Pot or similar. You may have to lay down on each side and blow your nose to completely drain afterwards.
  2. If possible, clean your ears every few days with Hydrogen Peroxide. If you can, pour a little into one ear at a time, let it bubble and warm up for a while before draining and doing the other ear. If you have something rpeventing you from putting liquid into your ears, then at least soak a cotten swab with H2O2 and clean.
  3. Zytec, Allegra, or a similar allergy med, NOT a decongestant.
  4. Chinese Herbal Remedy or similar.
  5. Straw Exercises, below...

So I got the required ingredients from my Pharmacy (or as close as)

On 25/01/2017 at 6:31 PM, Draven Grey said:

1. Regular Nasal Rinses with a Netti Pot or similar. You may have to lay down on each side and blow your nose to completely drain afterwards.
  2. If possible, clean your ears every few days with Hydrogen Peroxide. If you can, pour a little into one ear at a time, let it bubble and warm up for a while before draining and doing the other ear. If you have something rpeventing you from putting liquid into your ears, then at least soak a cotten swab with H2O2 and clean.
  3. Zytec, Allegra, or a similar allergy med, NOT a decongestant.
  4. Chinese Herbal Remedy or similar.
  5. Straw Exercises, below...

1. Now that is a proper pieces of kit! That much that the phone call from the chemist to the doctors said it was the best thing since sliced bread and I got myself a "Neil med" brand
I have not tried this and I do not have nasal congestion, but will try tomorrow
But I fail to see how it will improve my airways passage since I am only blocked up in and around the through areas

2. that Hydrogen Peroxide is just ear drops, got some of that cleaned out a little and better but time will tell

3. Zytec, Allegra. Well that is a packet of hay fever tables 
Taken one of those but I don't really have sneezing and runny noise

4. Chinese Herbal Remedy; well the best thing they could find was a cough medicine that soothed the through from soreness                                                                           And to be honest that has no really worked

Well I guess the only real option is antibiotics; dont know how I will go about this

Interesting no.1
Have you tried this before you went on stage?

I was hoping you would self-diagnose a bit with those and choose what you needed. I didn't know you would go all out, haha!

1. Nasal rinses clear out allergens and help prevent postnasal drip, which is often the first cause of a groggy voice, especially after a cold.
  2. H2O2 in the ear can help kill internal infections of the ear and upper respitory system, as well as liquidate ear wax and help bring down swelling.
  3. Zyrtec or Allegra also addresses post-nasal drip due to allergens.
  4. Yin Chaio, Sinus Take Care, and the like were to help clear up whatever was left of your cold while also boosting the immune system. If your throat is sore, then salt water gargles will help address athat symptom.

Antibiotics are useless unless you have a bacterial infection, and if you do or don't is something really only a doctor would be able to tell you. I mentioned all of the above because you said you have a heavy cold, and yet you say you have no congestions, no runny nose, or the like. Is it a chest cold? A good herbal expectorant and a personal steam inhaler can help with that, but once a cold is that deep you usually need a doctor to help. There have been a couple of times I didn't catch it fast enough and ended up having to take steroisds to clear up my lungs.

We are not doctors here and can only make siuggestions based upon what you've said. If you feel it's a major issue, then find a doctor you trust to help you figure out what to do.

That similar to what I use. The one I have is electronic, with a small hot plate on the inside where the water sits. The idea is the same though. I use it for at least 10 minutes to superhydrate the vocal folds. Works well when I'm ill too. Warm salt water gargles help releave swelling in the throat too. I also use "Singer's Saving GRace" throat spray, which is the best I've found out of athe handful of them I've used. You want to pamper your voice a bit as you rebuild it and bring any swelling down.