Problem accessing F4 and above

Rate this topic

yongsua1995

Hi, I don't know whether it is due to fact that I am a bass baritone, it seems that I have problem accessing F4 and above.

I feel my voice is much more grounded and in control when I am accessing notes that are below F4. I just want to give some try to determine how high I can actually hit by singing head voice. Unfortunately, my voice will start to crack into falsetto when I want to sing F4 and above. So, what I do is I try to push my diaphragm upward and at the same time I will "lean" on my voice to regulate the pressure, hoping to reach the right pressure for F4. However, it sounds screamy and I feel that my diaphragm has to "jump" in order to reach F4 and above. Am I doing it correct? Is this a correct sensation of singing high notes? Thank You.

• Administrator

Don't have a lot of time at the moment Yong... but this is very common.

Short, over simplified answer.... 

Train vocal techniques that will build the strength of your belt musculature or TA muscle AND... understand the how to feel and shift resonance with singing vowel modification. Then apply it to singing songs that have that note in it.

This is the basic overview of the physiology and the acoustics involved in ... singing a stable, reliable F4.

What you then have to do is find the vocal training techniques, program that will show you EXACTLY how to do that.

I recommend my program, .The Four Pillars of Singing.

I hope that helps... I couldn't possibly be more clear and to the point.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, yongsua1995 said:

Is this a correct sensation of singing high notes? Thank You.

The physical sensation of singing high notes... above E4 as a man include:

- resonance energy in your upper vocal tract vibrating.

- A very profound "anchoring" of the TA / Belt muscles inside the larynx.

- Lifting of the soft palate and resonant energy bouncing off your forward hard palate.

- Respiration... steady volume, steady velocity... pushing down and out on the obliques.

- Mentally... the ability to visualize or "hear" the singing vowels ( resonance, multiple colors ) in a 10th of a second, for every note you are going to sing.

All of this is developed through committed training and practice with the RIGHT techniques and content.

Hope this helps.

You don't want to jump or push the diaphragm upward you want to slow its movement upward. That's what support is. You want to breath in and hold that position as long as is comfortable when it starts pushing in you lean out(appoggio) You need to learn to cover and learn mixed voice to get through the f4 and you want to start a few notes earlier. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:40 AM, Danielformica said:

You don't want to jump or push the diaphragm upward you want to slow its movement upward. That's what support is. You want to breath in and hold that position as long as is comfortable when it starts pushing in you lean out(appoggio) You need to learn to cover and learn mixed voice to get through the f4 and you want to start a few notes earlier. 

This!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, VideoHere said:

This!

Yes, great advise for someone that already has good TA strength and motor skills. If this singer doesn't have TA strength... which is 90% of the people that are posting on this forum and walking into my studio, then great respiration is not going to solve the problem. It is part of the solution and again, this is a great post... my concern is that ... my bets are on the fact that this singer is breaking at F4 and doesn't have the basic , belt stability required. Building belt / TA strength is what I would focus on first, if this is the case.

11 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Yes, great advise for someone that already has good TA strength and motor skills. If this singer doesn't have TA strength... which is 90% of the people that are posting on this forum and walking into my studio, then great respiration is not going to solve the problem. It is part of the solution and again, this is a great post... my concern is that ... my bets are on the fact that this singer is breaking at F4 and doesn't have the basic , belt stability required. Building belt / TA strength is what I would focus on first, if this is the case.

I find that those who CAN access F#4 and above forget the process they had to go through to get there. Some will say you need support, or Cord Closure or proper resonance, relaxation or larynx stability on and on. They can remember all those things they tried for a while and seemingly had no effect. When the goal is finally reached the last thing in the chain is regarded as "The Trick" to access higher notes.

The reality is that it takes time, training and balance of several different aspects of the voice. Some things are strengthened by certain exercises and other things are strengthened by certain other exercises.

I have not had the opportunity to train or even sing for a few months now. Today I had the chance. Going through a slide, upon reaching the F#4 there was a little wobble but what was on the other side had the same timber and quality as my "Chest" voice.  When I last trained I could transition relatively smooth from "Chest" to "Head" but there was a definite difference in quality between the two.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MDEW said:

I find that those who CAN access F#4 and above forget the process they had to go through to get there.

With the greatest respect to my experienced colleagues. I TOTALLy agree MDEW. Again, you share insights that are smart on. There are super talented people on here and they give great advise! It's just that... iT seems like some well meaning folks forget that most people reading these posts can't sing a stable F#4 in the first place!  There are some people reading these posts that still sing very much on the Falsetto spectrum and have NO musculature. Sometime the world class belters in our community seem to forget what it is like to not be able to belt and have basic stability and anchoring in their singing.

1 hour ago, MDEW said:

The reality is that it takes time, training and balance of several different aspects of the voice. Some things are strengthened by certain exercises and other things are strengthened by certain other exercises.

YES. 

:borgsmile:

Rob,

Speaking for myself, I can easily recall my struggles..LOL!!!  I don't think I could forget them if I wanted to.

But those struggles get superseded by new struggles and some struggles remain struggles, you just get better at working with them...LOL!!!

When you stop struggling, I think you are only kidding yourself.  There is so, so much to learn.....