What Does Your Voice Say About The Vocal Health?

Rate this topic

coreshanethi

A voice change can indicate a problem of the vocal health. It can range from cold to allergies and even vocal cord cancer. Here are a few voice changes that can indicate a certain problem:

1.       Raspy voice- This voice is caused due to the growth of vocal cord nodules. The prominent reason of this is due to the misuse and overstraining of the voice. It is important that in order to maintain the voice, one should take singing lessons at a certified vocal school.

2.       Hoarseness of voice- This kind of voice can be a symptom of throat cancer, thyroid cancer, lime disease, or brain tumors which are caused due to excessive smoking. Therefore, it is important that one must not smoke and live a healthy life.

3.       Nasal voice- It is also known as hyponasal which is typically caused by deviated septum which can cause cold and chronic allergies. Therefore, it is necessary that one should properly maintain the vocal health.

Maintaining the vocal health is very necessary to avoid any problems in the near future. Therefore, one should not strain the voice unnecessarily and take help of a professional to keep the vocal health maintained.

----------------------

I am Music Tutor, I like to motivate people to join music, and make a brilliant career in singing.

Please share your experience. 

-------------------

Vocal School San Jose | Voice lessons san jose | Voice Classes san jose

10 hours ago, coreshanethi said:

1.       Raspy voice- This voice is caused due to the growth of vocal cord nodules. The prominent reason of this is due to the misuse and overstraining of the voice. It is important that in order to maintain the voice, one should take singing lessons at a certified vocal school.

Mat I just say this is really not a definitive truth.  Many other things can contribute to a raspy voice.  Acid reflux, allergies, poor or improper speaking habits, diet, smoking, heredity.......

And nodules can come about from as little as one traumatic event like a screaming match.  You don't have to be a singer to develop nodules or polyps.

I would say to anybody who thinks they might have a health issue, and not just a vocal health issue, don't diagnose yourself. I'll never forget being 14 and thinking I wasn't going to see another day because of Web MD :lol: 

There are lots of singers who have nasal voices and it's not because all of them happen to have a health problem.

I say that so somebody starting out or somebody who just doesn't know their voice that well yet doesn't read this and think they have one of these issues because they think their voice fits one of these criteria.

I'm not saying this stuff is 100% wrong, but that it might be right in a very specific case where these voice changes are the only symptoms you have. Like, if you've got throat or thyroid cancer, a hoarse voice is probably not the only big thing going on. If you think something might be off, just go get it checked.

Wow, that list is extreme. I can think of a whole lot more less severe reasons for all three of the things listed - all the way down to it being the voice you've grown up with and may need speech therapy to change it, if you need to change it at all (plenty of pro singers are raspy, nasal, and healthy). Hoarseness? My first go to would be not staying on top of hydration or dealing with post-nasal drip. And if the reason for a raspy voice is nodules, you need to see an ENT, not take lessons.

I have a hard time taking a list like this seriously when it immediately goes to the worst-case scenario as the cause. Stomach ache? Likely a hole in your stomach or you need your apendix taken out. Migraine? You have a brain tumor. Feeling tired? You have diabetes. Having a hard time breathing after working out? You're having a heart attack. Thankfully, ailments are often a lot more simple than that. If you had the more likely and much less severe causes listed too, it would be easier to take seriously.

Also, what exactly does "certified vocal school" mean? Certified in what exactly? There are plenty of vocal schools without accredidation or certification of anything in particular that get real results. Maybe it should instead read "should take singing lessons with someone that has a proven track record of getting results."

15 hours ago, coreshanethi said:

A voice change can indicate a problem of the vocal health. It can range from cold to allergies and even vocal cord cancer. Here are a few voice changes that can indicate a certain problem:

2.       Hoarseness of voice- This kind of voice can be a symptom of throat cancer, thyroid cancer, lime disease, or brain tumors which are caused due to excessive smoking. Therefore, it is important that one must not smoke and live a healthy life.

3.       Nasal voice- It is also known as hyponasal which is typically caused by deviated septum which can cause cold and chronic allergies. Therefore, it is necessary that one should properly maintain the vocal health.

Maintaining the vocal health is very necessary to avoid any problems in the near future. Therefore, one should not strain the voice unnecessarily and take help of a professional to keep the vocal health maintained.

----------------------

I am Music Tutor, I like to motivate people to join music, and make a brilliant career in singing.

Please share your experience. 

And where did you get this lsit from?

23 hours ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

Quite so!

If O/P is not going to give any referance to his/ her post then we should stop listening to it and pay more attention to the bloke above in the cartoooon

Well, let's be kind. I just think that any time you start looking at symptoms, you might end up thinking you have anything and everything :lol: