Rate this topic

Hey everyone. 

I'm pretty new to singing and don't sing very well, but I came across some of Robert's videos on YouTube and it inspired me, I might purchase the four pillars. 

I have a question about modes and increasing range. I'm a fan of Kpop and aspire to sing similarly (in a ballad style). Here's a YouTube video as an example and I'd like to know what he's doing, Kpop ballad singers have a youthful, sweet light sound, is it because they're tenors? Or just the way they're singing?

I think I'm a baritone and I can make my voice lighter but it doesn't really sound the same. Also at 4:23 onward he hits an A or b4 and I wonder whether that's in chest register or head with twang? Male Kpop singers always hit A4-c5 in the climax of their ballads and I'm unable to take my chest beyond an F4(that's a strain). I'm not sure what y'all think about mixed voice 

thanks!

On 5/14/2017 at 5:00 PM, Kpoppin said:

Hey everyone. 

I'm pretty new to singing and don't sing very well, but I came across some of Robert's videos on YouTube and it inspired me, I might purchase the four pillars. 

I have a question about modes and increasing range. I'm a fan of Kpop and aspire to sing similarly (in a ballad style). Here's a YouTube video as an example and I'd like to know what he's doing, Kpop ballad singers have a youthful, sweet light sound, is it because they're tenors? Or just the way they're singing?

I think I'm a baritone and I can make my voice lighter but it doesn't really sound the same. Also at 4:23 onward he hits an A or b4 and I wonder whether that's in chest register or head with twang? Male Kpop singers always hit A4-c5 in the climax of their ballads and I'm unable to take my chest beyond an F4(that's a strain). I'm not sure what y'all think about mixed voice 

thanks!

You have a lot of questions. First, you do not and are not going to sound just like him. You may sound similar by using his style. He has a youthful sound because he is young. You do not take your "CHEST" voice beyond F#4. Regardless of the sound the resonance shifts between E4 and G4. Some as early as D4 and some as late as A4. You can make your voice lighter,Heavier, Softer, Fuller, airy, Piercing, Brighter and Darker..............To learn HOW to control all of that takes time. If you just want to be able to sing the melody and stay on pitch, work the song one word at a time. Listen adjust, listen again. The Notes after 4:23 was using a heavy mix or Headvoice with more tissue of the vocal folds moving and good cord closure. Which takes time to develop but can be done even for a baritone IF you are one.

You need to decide how much effort you want to put into it and how you want to sound (within reason, according to the physical characteristics of your vocal tract and your vocal cords).

Thanks for the response.

Obviously I know I'm not going to sound exactly like him, we have different voices. No two people sound exactly the same. But I could post you another couple of hundred Kpop singers who all sound different but similar. That's why I wondered if it was more of a technique (i.e.- breathiness) or because they're all tenors. 

And well, he's 35 lol. He has over a decade on me but I feel like tenors perpetually sound more youthful than a baritone does from his teen years. I'm not entirely sure I am a baritone but I do think so.

But still, thanks, I'm willing to put in the effort, I guess it's mix voice that I need to work on.

I am 54, 35 is still young to me.  He is using a soft, slightly breathy sound but there is plenty of Bottom end to it (Dampened larynx) and good cord closure. Almost anything I say about this will sound as if it is full of contradictions, like Breathy sound with full cord closure.  Soft but forceful. The dampened larynx will give a Deeper bottom end but the soft breathy sound will add some higher tones and help make it sound "Lighter". A lot of times when someone hears a tone like this they will go for a "Light" sound and there will be no power and depth to the sound. Going for the higher notes will be Too bright and thin sounding.

2 hours ago, Kpoppin said:

Obviously I know I'm not going to sound exactly like him

You would be surprised how many people DO believe they need to sound JUST like another artist.