Sign in to follow this  
MDEW

R.I.P Gregg Allman

Rate this topic

Another great added to the Angel Band. R.I.P. Gregg you helped us through some troubled times.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, MDEW said:

Another great added to the Angel Band. R.I.P. Gregg you helped us through some troubled times.

A true Son of the blues, love Gregg's vocal chops, he was a soulful musician, and an iconic vocalist in evolution of rock n' roll!

2 hours ago, Kevin Ashe said:

A true Son of the blues, love Gregg's vocal chops, he was a soulful musician, and an iconic vocalist in evolution of rock n' roll!

I guess you could say that Gregg was one of my vocal heroes. I think about his sound and style the way that others on this forum think about Chris Cornell, Bruce Dickinson and Dio.

I have spent many hours reading books, watching videos, exploring different singing methods, never have I run across anything that will lead me to that Southern Rock/Country/blues passaggio G4-A4 growl found in many songs of that style.

I am sure that it is a coordination that can be learned, taught and developed. Even singers like Linda Ronstadt, Wynona Judd  and Reba McEntire  have used this effect to some extent. 

39 minutes ago, MDEW said:

I have spent many hours reading books, watching videos, exploring different singing methods, never have I run across anything that will lead me to that Southern Rock/Country/blues passaggio G4-A4 growl found in many songs of that style.

I've always enjoyed the "grit/distortion" in his voice as well. So many good examples to watch if you look 'em up.  When I came across this number a while back, I was reminded of Gregg.  This singer (Chris Stapleton) is IMO sort of a "next generation" Gregg Allman singer. He really has some well coordinated upper register connection!

I have run across Chris Stapleton quite a few times while surfing youtube. I ran across this while critiquing another "Teacher" on youtube. This teacher souded pretty good but was way too thin for the genre. This is more the sound.

What is it about these big biker looking guys and their thick voices. Does the beard help? LOL

For those of you who have never heard Gregg, here is one of my favorites.

I think I like this performance a little better. Mainly because of the guitar.