Sign in to follow this  
r00dris

Deteriorating high register - only 25 years old

Rate this topic

Throughout the last 4 years, since I started singing until now, although I gained technique (went from eardrum destroyer to mediocre/acceptable), my high register is fading away.

What I did during this time was to smoke a lot (quitting now due to lung infections) and to focus on mid-register and lower register songs. Those songs were easier for me because I have to make little effort to reach the notes (from D2 to A3 is the area where my voice sounds better).

When I have a higher song to sing, I lower the key to fit around D2-A3 for it to sound acceptable. In the past, I could sing easy cool F4's, although a little airy. Now, every note past around A3 (which is my "primo passaggio", D4 beind the second) sounds either heady, airy, thin, or unpleasant. Sure I can sing some 4th octave notes today, but they are limited and they use to suck.

The main question is, is there a way to help recover some of the range that I lost due to heavy smoking and/or lack of practice, and then belt anything past A3 with some real chest resonance?

5 hours ago, r00dris said:

The main question is, is there a way to help recover some of the range that I lost due to heavy smoking and/or lack of practice, and then belt anything past A3 with some real chest resonance?

The answer is right in your post.  Avoid smoking and practice regularly.  Singing is a sport.  To sing with consistency and over a large range, you need to put in the hours of practice.  No matter how bad you think you sound, you have to practice regularly.  Everyday.  It is like you want to run a half marathon.  The first few months will be painful, your legs will hurt, you will feel cramps, you will feel the pain of blisters.  Over time, the body adapts and the pain becomes lesser and lesser.  Singing works the same way. 

Do not expect miracles over night and you will not be disappointed.  Keep your goals reasonable and you will get the motivation to practice regularly. 

I appreciate your answer.

The thing is that I practice, but I only practice with songs that I can actually sing.

I don't know how to actually belt above A3, so it's new territory to me.

1 hour ago, r00dris said:

I appreciate your answer.

The thing is that I practice, but I only practice with songs that I can actually sing.

I don't know how to actually belt above A3, so it's new territory to me.

If you only practice songs below A3 you will never sing above it. Go ahead and use falsetto or whatever gets you above A3. using it even if it sounds bad to you is the first step. Once you make any sound above A3 exercise on some slides above and below it. Even for True Basses A3 is a low to mid note.

1 hour ago, MDEW said:

If you only practice songs below A3 you will never sing above it. Go ahead and use falsetto or whatever gets you above A3. using it even if it sounds bad to you is the first step. Once you make any sound above A3 exercise on some slides above and below it. Even for True Basses A3 is a low to mid note.

I think I get it.

52 minutes ago, MDEW said:

What are some of the songs that you are singing?

Here is one focused on the lower register that I really like to sing.

And here is another which I once covered "a capella" and is mixed register-wise (mid-range main vocals and low chantings):