Adele Facing Vocal Injury Stigma (?)

Rate this topic

Kevin Ashe

From what I heared she ripped her vocal cords apart from the act of belting and then disappeared to America for a while to have an expenceive operation on then (under the knife LOL)

And they have never recovered to what they once where

But I don't think an ENT doctor is appropriative Kevin; more a speech therapist

2 hours ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

From what I heared she ripped her vocal cords apart from the act of belting and then disappeared to America for a while to have an expenceive operation on then (under the knife LOL)

dont tell me you read that entire article Mr. a dust bin! (or is it Mrs. or ?)   interesting back story on Adele though. got a link on that info? sounds like a good read.

3 hours ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

Jeez! Good thing I just got some steel string vocal cords installed. That's never going to happen to me :D

15 hours ago, Kevin Ashe said:

dont tell me you read that entire article Mr. a dust bin! (or is it Mrs. or ?)   interesting back story on Adele though. got a link on that info? sounds like a good read.

Sorry no link but It was my last teacher that told me. I know she had an operation on her vocal cord because I heared it on the radio saying how she is going to sound so great and wonderfull and better then ever, and my teacher just lathed at that and told me the real reason for this operation

1 hour ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

Sorry no link but It was my last teacher that told me. I know she had an operation on her vocal cord because I heared it on the radio saying how she is going to sound so great and wonderfull and better then ever, and my teacher just lathed at that and told me the real reason for this operation

if the surgery permanently damaged her cords we will eventually know.  that would be quite a malpractice suit.   A large number of famous singers have had surgery for "nodes."  Most singers I have read about who had that kind of surgery recovered 100%. I can think of four. I would guess this means it's relatively rare for the procedure to cause permanent damage. I recall hearing Julie Andrews sued her surgeon.  

The point I find interesting is that you can damage vocal cords even when singing "properly."  It seems to me that it happens to singers who sing ( and perform!! ) on tour for many hours and simply reach the elastic limit of their "instrument."  This seems like a no brainer yet, criticisms were leveled at Adele. Maybe she did something she shouldn't have. Maybe she just wore out the instrument. That's one part of the experience that is discussed in the article.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, Kevin Ashe said:

The point I find interesting is that you can damage vocal cords even when singing "properly."  It seems to me that it happens to singers who sing ( and perform!! ) on tour for many hours and simply reach the elastic limit of their "instrument."

I read a lot on the net about people who are doing a 30 day tour (like singing on a cruse ship) and losses there voice through there trip and fukc it all up because they are physically exhausted and have over strained there mussels like any athlete would, but they seam to loses there voice in the mid range passagio first.

Infact there was a young lady on hear a few weeks ago that was on a tour and lost her voice through physical exhaustion (but no one was prepared to help her only to try and sell her something she did not need!)

16 hours ago, 2 cats in a dust bin said:

I read a lot on the net about people who are doing a 30 day tour (like singing on a cruse ship) and losses there voice through there trip and fukc it all up because they are physically exhausted and have over strained there mussels like any athlete would, but they seam to loses there voice in the mid range passagio first.

Infact there was a young lady on hear a few weeks ago that was on a tour and lost her voice through physical exhaustion (but no one was prepared to help her only to try and sell her something she did not need!)

yeah, no need to sell her anything. Most of the healing vocalise is on youtube!

Whenever I get a cold that makes me cough, it's M2 that gets ripped up the most.  just got over one, M2 is still only at about 90%

My hearing is that she'd been on tons of steroids to do what she was doing night in and out, and finally had enough damage to need surgery. She's had to change a part or two, but refuses to take more drastic measures like dubbing parts of her shows or really changing her style.

The point I find interesting is that you can damage vocal cords even when singing "properly."

My impression, based on what I've learned thus far, is that 'properly' does deservesto be in quotation marks there, because her soulful belting thing is NOT proper and can never really be; it's inherently a damaging style. But to sing otherwise would remove a lot of the style and affect from the music that modern audiences look for.

10 hours ago, PianoandGuitarguy said:

My impression, based on what I've learned thus far, is that 'properly' does deservesto be in quotation marks there, because her soulful belting thing is NOT proper and can never really be; it's inherently a damaging style. But to sing otherwise would remove a lot of the style and affect from the music that modern audiences look for.

I've known quite a few successful opera singers who dissed on belting. This is usually a bias that's passed down from teacher to student over years and generations, and never truly explored. With the ones I know, once they learned what's actually happening when someone belts properly, they relented. One of my best friends used to do world tours in opera. He said much the same thing about belting, until I explained it to him and showed him examples, voice teacher to voice teacher. From what you've said from your teacher in other posts, like my friend did, she seems to have a gross misundertanding of and pretty strong bias against belting, sceaming, distortion, vocal twang mode, and rock singing in general. There are plenty of people who yell instead of belt, but there are a LOT of people who belt properly too.

For instance: Adele has a great belt, which sounds very relaxed and resonant to me (after years of training and teaching proper belting). I even teach her songs to hep people learn how to belt properly, without strain, and completely relaxed. Sia yells. Her "belt" is strong, loud, overblown, and straining, for about 30 to 45 minutes, then she loses her voice. Belting and pushing are very different things.

If I may, allow me to give you an example that your teacher may understand. I've used this to help quite a few student learn to belt properly in rock music, especially those that came to me from a classical background.

If she's unfamiliar with vocal twang mode, then explain it to her as glottal closure and tilt. This brings the voice up and slightly forward towards the hard palate, rather than the more open and relaxed larynx position found in a lot of classical singing. Proper belting is essentially appoggio and then adding twang vocal mode.

12 hours ago, PianoandGuitarguy said:

'properly' does deservesto be in quotation marks there, because her soulful belting thing is NOT proper and can never really be; it's inherently a damaging style. But to sing otherwise would remove a lot of the style and affect from the music that modern audiences look for.

Hey Pianoguitarguy!

I see that Draven is convinced Adele is belting properly. I haven't been able to hear the problems when reviewing video (on Adele or Sia), just don't have the expertise to recognize the subtleties i guess. I'm never hearing anything that sounds harmful to me. Then again, I never could believe Brian Johnson wasn't shredding his cords.

I put the quotations on properly in an effort to emphasize that it is possible to acquire damage even though you are singing in a manner that would not damage the cords, and that there is some relativity to the word proper. what I have read in this forum is; there can occur a perfect storm of conditions, both physical and environmental which can (in sum) result in cord damage. So, NOT caused by " improper " singing per se. It's "improper" to keep on singing if your voice is unusually fatigued, as is the case with many touring artists. the show must go on.