Robert Lunte

Robert Lunte Was My Voice Coach! Hear my Story!

Rate this topic

Holy **** @ coughing up blood after shows. What would he have had to be doing for that to happen?

1 hour ago, Robert Lunte said:

Who knows?! But he's not doing it now. 

Well, I thought you might, but good point, lol. Anyways, he sounds great. Did you teach him the distortion techniques he's using? Like at 1:00 to 1:02? That's not "overlay", right?

Good ears Geoff.

No that is not overlay distortion. Overlay is more intentional and typically is higher in pitch. This is a natural distortion from strong belting, less intentional.

The work I did for him is expanding range above the bridge, vowels, resonance, respiration and endurance. 

That's something natural that happens with everybody?

He's making it all look easy.

No, absolutely not. It depends on the individual, anatomy and many factors Geoff. The same amount of coordination and strength from you and me, may not produce the same distortion. Distortion is hard to pin down collectively. It is very much a personal thing in terms of when, where, how and what kinds of distortion anyone can produce. Some people can't do it at all. Others can't get away from it.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:40 PM, Robert Lunte said:

No, absolutely not. It depends on the individual, anatomy and many factors Geoff. The same amount of coordination and strength from you and me, may not produce the same distortion. Distortion is hard to pin down collectively. It is very much a personal thing in terms of when, where, how and what kinds of distortion anyone can produce. Some people can't do it at all. Others can't get away from it.

I agree that everyone produces a different sound/type of distortion. Even if similar to others, theres always some unique spin on it due to the reasons you mentioned. I'm also still in the, admittedly perhaps naive, opinion that anyone can train just about anything, barring a medical issue keeping them from it. The more I've been studying the voices of particular singers, the more I reinforce that belief.

The right vowel, on the right note, with just the right amount of sob, can produce that natural distortion heard around the one-minute mark in the first video. I think that differs a bit from person to person, but I do believe overlay distortion can be trained regardless. Some may sound harsher than others, but the grit, rasp, and fry screams can still be taught. I've had some students who got it in two weeks, and it took others 6 months to a year, but they eventually were able to do it. And I've also had some who, like you said, couldn't get away from it. They had a naturall tendency to add sob and bleed the glottis just right for distortion. They had to spend a LOT of time learning to lift the voice better, even in their everyday speaking voice. Eventually, they were able to sing very clean.

I think the biggest factor I've seen in learning it either way was determination. And I don't mean pushing through it until you get it. Rather, I've had students who saw speech therapists, ENT doctors, relentlessly expirimented with every instruction about distortion they could get their hands on, and didn't give up until they got the sound/effect they wanted and could relax into it.