What exercise is most efficient for holding one pitch consistently?

Rate this topic

Vincent

I know I have good ears because I can easily hear the flaws in my voice, and I'm a mixing engineer.
I have a flexible voice and I can easily sing fast runs and such.
But I noticed that I can't quite keep singing one note without it bending up or down slightly
Say I wanted to sing the C note for 10 seconds, I could hold it for the first 2 or 3 seconds, but then there's a small bump either moving my voice up or down, which makes me sound off key.
I also know that it's because I can't keep my breath flowing at one speed without changing.
So basically, I have a problem with keeping my breathing speed to be consistent, and when my breathing speed changes, it affects the pitch of my voice.
But I don't know what kind of exercise Is the most efficient to help me with this.
I'm also a smoker which I know affects my breathing but not sure if it has anything to do with this specific problem.

Does anyone know what I should do to be able to do this?

If the issue truly is consitent breath support/balance and placement, then the straw exercise should help you. Besides the warmup, you can use it for the specific song or part you're wanting to work on. Once you're able to better balance airflow, if you still hav epitch issues, it can help to get a pitch wheel and hum the note into the pitch wheel. When you're off pitch at all, it make a terrible sound. Add a visual, like a guitar tuner app, and you can get even more fine-tuned. However, with what you described, humming through cocktail straw (as described in the video) will help you develop the consistency you want.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:58 PM, Draven Grey said:

If the issue truly is consitent breath support/balance and placement, then the straw exercise should help you. Besides the warmup, you can use it for the specific song or part you're wanting to work on. Once you're able to better balance airflow, if you still hav epitch issues, it can help to get a pitch wheel and hum the note into the pitch wheel. When you're off pitch at all, it make a terrible sound. Add a visual, like a guitar tuner app, and you can get even more fine-tuned. However, with what you described, humming through cocktail straw (as described in the video) will help you develop the consistency you want.

Oh man this is such a work out xD

I'm breathing heavily as if I just ran 100 meters after i try to hum 5 seconds through this straw.

now I'm sure I have breathing problems

Thanks for the help. I will try this for a while and see if anything changes 

You're pushing far too hard into the straw. There should hardly be any air scoming out of it, and defintely not a lot of pressure in the mouth and/or throat. Start low volume on a note that's easy to do relaxed in your chest voice range, and slowly work your way up while still trying to maintain relaxed. It can be very difficult at first, but will build the coordination you need to properly balance air pressure.

The size of the straw has an effect. The smaller the straw, the harder it is to get sound. Too large of a straw does not give enough resistance. If you are using a coffee straw with an extremely small opening....use two straws. If using a larger straw with a wide opening....crimp the straw to give resistance.

13 hours ago, MDEW said:

The size of the straw has an effect. The smaller the straw, the harder it is to get sound. Too large of a straw does not give enough resistance. If you are using a coffee straw with an extremely small opening....use two straws. If using a larger straw with a wide opening....crimp the straw to give resistance.

I teach with a cocktail straw that has an internal divider, so it's pretty high resistance. Even better when they get a solid relaxed air balance!