Baritone pop?

Rate this topic

thematrixiam

Hey guys,

Just had my first singing lesson at the new school. My teacher said I was a baritone. And mentioned that I probably wouldn't be hitting most of the songs I want to actually sing. That it would be better to either pick new artists/songs or transcribe them.

That said, curious if anyone knows of any baritone pop singers?

Thanks.

Tell your teacher that if she/he really feels that way, it is time for you to find a new teacher. Isn't that what training is about? It may be true that it will take a while, but the whole point of taking lessons is to be able to sing the songs you want to sing, not to set limitations on yourself.

What types of songs/artists do you actually want to sing?

Tenor pop. Josh ramsay, justin timberlake. Philosopher kings. Jarvis church. Remy shand.

His degree in music says the country of canada thinks he knows a few things. And his singing in les miserables says professionals do too. I dont plan on jumping ship just yet.

5 minutes ago, thematrixiam said:

Tenor pop. Josh ramsay, justin timberlake. Philosopher kings. Jarvis church. Remy shand.

His degree in music says the country of canada thinks he knows a few things. And his singing in les miserables says professionals do too. I dont plan on jumping ship just yet.

In Classic venues you may not be able to sing higher placed songs with the aesthetics required, BUT Tenor pop is a different situation. The sound quality itself is different and uses coordinations that are different from classical. Yes the foundation is the same, so keep this classical teacher. You will still have to modify your teaching to achieve the sound you want on the higher notes.

Imagine your teacher singing in the style he sings, a Justin Timberlake song. It is a different coordination that your teacher would believe to be wrong and damaging.

7 minutes ago, thematrixiam said:

He teaches contemporary

OK then, he is the expert and you will not be able to sing the songs you want to sing.

In the mean time, look into CVT and Thefourpillarsofsinging. They do not limit you but help you expand range and sound aesthetics. 

14 minutes ago, thematrixiam said:

I think that myself being a beginner he will be great, even if he is limiting

Yes he will be great. It just triggers my senses when a teacher says a baritone will not be able to sing in tenor range.

Will you sound different? Yes.  But it does not effect the ability. It is easier for a Baritone to lighten his voice to a tenor quality than it is for a tenor to attain a baritone quality.

There's a harder limit on extending your low range than there is on extending the high range. With good closure coordination, you can extend your head voice all the way to whistle register, and then whistle register into the 6th, 7th, even 8th octave (which I've head, but don't think is enjoyable).The 5th octave isn't difficult for a baritone to sing once you learn the right coordination and placement for it, then build TA strength to back it up. Anything above your bridge is essentially head voice, or bridging into it). You can learn to turn on your TA muscles as high as you can sing in head voice, plus add different sound colors to your voice from there - essentially giving you the ability to belt however high you can sing in head voice.

To say your limited and should transpose the song you want to sing is ridiculous, and simply tells me that the teacher doesn't know what they're talking about, likey because they never learned how to do so themselves. A degree in music doesn't mean anything. I have severl atsudents who have that, and a couple of others in the middle of getting one. It didn't do much for their voice, and especially not for their knowledge of contemporary voice. I know a lot of contemporary voice teachers that have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. I have plenty of students who've come to me after several years of that student getting little to no progress with another teacher with a ton of paper credentials. And after 2 or 3 months, they're hitting the goals they never did in years with the other teacher.

Let results speak for their credability. Can they easily sing what you're wanting to or have students they've taught to do so? If they have students who they've taught to sing what you want to, did some of those students start where you are? Do you want to sing les miserables, or pop? Those are VERY different things vocally. Also, mixing pedagogies/methodologies can get very confusing, especially when the in-person teacher of the newer pedagogy doesn't think the demonstrated results of the former pedagogy are possible.

16 hours ago, thematrixiam said:

Watch out. Some instructors are very opinionated and it messes with their teaching. They have god complexes. And don't be fooled by a great singing voice, because that doesn't mean they  know how to teach.

11 hours ago, thematrixiam said:

So... as per the original post. Any one know any baritone pop singers?

John Legend

And here's a Brenden Urie song you might like

here is one :)

despite being a bari, he is a master of mixed and belting voice, so he uses lots of C5 on this song -several times on each chorus- without problem.

also here he sings a bit more heavier -and perhaps more rock-:

and here more lighter and more pop:

7 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

John Legend

re: All of me
That's funny, I just bought that song this morning. I also uploaded a video of me singing it. It's in my journal. 

Found here:

It's the newest one. Though I'm singing in my chest voice. Which is very low to me. I prefer singing mixed or in my head. 

And, Planet at the disco Is awesome. I only really know their older stuff from early 2000's.

5 hours ago, thematrixiam said:

re: All of me
That's funny, I just bought that song this morning. I also uploaded a video of me singing it. It's in my journal. 

Found here:

It's the newest one. Though I'm singing in my chest voice. Which is very low to me. I prefer singing mixed or in my head. 

And, Planet at the disco Is awesome. I only really know there older stuff from early 2000's.

I saw in the other thread that you got 4 Pillars. That's great! It's a great self-study system. The best. Rob will probably tell you, when you get near your breaks, don't slow down. Yeah, it doesn't sound as good, but it will later. 

I'm a big falsetto guy too. Make sure you train your whole voice because it will open up your range. 

Brendan is doing great. I hear he's even been doing all the production.