Unwanted distortion problem

Rate this topic

Jeran

Hi, All.

I have a question:

Between my registers, I'm getting major distortion. It's completely painless, and isn't a break, it's more like a Steven Tyler scream. Sort of non-modal.

I'm not able to make a recording, as I can only use the computer at work, but does anyone experience something similar?

If I do a siren, I get an area of major distortion right around the passagio. Is this something that will eventually go away with a strengthening of the bridge? I hope so. It can be a cool effect, but I'm more a fan of cleaner vocals.

Jeran- Do you get this all the time or is it seasonal? I've had a similar thing this winter. I THINK it's dryness or possibly some kind of drainage thing. Not sure of this... I've been using a humidifier at night and increasing my water intake in general.

I find that if I warm up more, it goes away (and drink plenty of water) and doesn't mess with my shows.

Also a light Eeeee 5 tone scale (I mean SUPER light, barely audible, as quiet as you can make it) can help to deswell your vocal folds if that is the issue.

One more thing, do you possibly have acid reflux? I've got this as well and am on medication (daily) for it. I used to have your problem to a larger degree before I got on the meds. It's possible that you're getting a bit of singed chord from stomach acid and that can have this effect.

Billy

Thanks for the reply!

The distortion is all the time, but does lessen after singing for a while. I do drink a lot of water, and lead a very fit lifestyle in general. I'm not discounting dryness, it could be, but it's right on the passagio area, so that's why I think it could be a bridging problem.

It doesn't hurt, but I'm hoping it's not damaging further to continue singing through it. I assume it's some sort of adduction problem.

I don't have acid reflux, to my knowledge. I am scared of that, though.

Jeran- I didn't know I had reflux either. No big, typical heartburn symptoms. But I went in and got my chords scoped and the doctor diagnosed Acid Reflux. I had similar problems but also my higher range just kept having problems. He gave me the medicine and within a few weeks, it was much better. Just something to maybe check out.

Jeran- I didn't know I had reflux either. No big, typical heartburn symptoms. But I went in and got my chords scoped and the doctor diagnosed Acid Reflux. I had similar problems but also my higher range just kept having problems. He gave me the medicine and within a few weeks, it was much better. Just something to maybe check out.

spot on bill...me too..i.heard prilosec has been associated with bone issues... my doc dropped me to zantac 150.

apple cider vinegar can help too. and you're so right about the fact that you may not have actual heartburn. dena murray said 80% or singers have it.

Billy and Videohere -

Thank you! You've definitely convinced me to look into acid reflux. Do you guys know if there's a way to check that without a doctor? I'm not too kean on shelling out the money to go get checked, but I will if need be. The art of singing, and the longtime spiritual, emotional and physical benefits I get from it are far more worth it than the money, but it'd be nice to keep the cash, too.

I wonder if our way of breathing does anything to increase acid. Compress the stomach, or something. I dunno.

Thank you.

Hi Jeran- I don't really know if there's any other way you can tell. However, if you're having a 'distortion' problem, that points to SOMETHING not being right. Either your chords are a bit singed, your approach is wrong, allergens are causing the issue, or just SOMETHING not right. If this was me and it was interfering with my gigs... oh wait, it was me, and it was interfering with my gigs, I'd seek a doctor's advice.

Two other possible ideas:

Go to the oracle (pronounced "goo*gle") and search for "acid reflux self-diagnosis" or "acid reflux symptons" or "acid reflux and the voice", etc.

Talk to one of the actual voice teachers here and see if they could maybe do a video lesson with you to check out what you're going through. I'm just going by what you've written here and there might be someone that's dealt with it in their students enough to know what's going on.

I believe they have an over the counter version of Prilosec that you could try, but it would probably take a few weeks to heal up any "damage". Not a doctor, but I think it's pretty harmless if not over done.

One thing, don't freak out. WHATEVER you're going through is most likely not some kind of permanent deal with your voice. It could be as simple as it being seasonal. I'm going through a similar thing right now where I get a thing like what you're talking about when my voice gets tired. Only seems to be in the winter though and that's what's throwing me.

Oh! One more thing- I also did this and it helped- sleep with a humidifier in your room. Get some Breathe Easy Nose Strips and wear them when you sleep. It's possible that at night, you're breathing dry winter air through your mouth and it's drying out your voice.

Just some ideas to try...

Billy and Videohere -

Thank you! You've definitely convinced me to look into acid reflux. Do you guys know if there's a way to check that without a doctor? I'm not too kean on shelling out the money to go get checked, but I will if need be. The art of singing, and the longtime spiritual, emotional and physical benefits I get from it are far more worth it than the money, but it'd be nice to keep the cash, too.

I wonder if our way of breathing does anything to increase acid. Compress the stomach, or something. I dunno.

Thank you.

try this...

when you sing long high notes do you feel like liquid is coming up into your mouth? do you feel like there's a ball in your throat?

are you raspy without trying?

ask a doctor if it's okay to do zantac 150 twice a day for 14 days, see if that makes any difference.

Jeran- by any chance have you had a cold lately? I find, in the winter that after I have a cold that has a lot of mucous and coughing, that my chords get pretty roughed up. It can take awhile for them to 'come back down' especially if I rush it.

You might be having a bit of that too. It's possible that it's not reflux. Could just be swelling in there from something else.

I just want to update:

Today I've got the tickling in the throat but without the cough, and I'm not sick.

I'm almost sure it's acid, now.

Is it okay to sing through this? I'm getting some OTC medicine like Prilosec or something of that nature. I don't want to stop singing, though.