Soft palate lifting

Rate this topic

thematrixiam

Track & Track, or Tracking - nasal buzzing, humming while buzzing the lips. This one is one of the best and easiest to do all the time in order to get your body used to up and forward resonance. When singing a song, horizontal embouchure is one of the biggest helps in keeping the voice lifted. 

In lessons, I also have students place a finger on their bottom lip and then sing "up and over" it. This is called "over the pencil." The follwing video describes placement a bit more thoroughly. I've since changed the "push" I describe in the video to be more in the upper abs and more appoggio focused, which also helps relieve tension from the throat.

8 hours ago, MDEW said:

Judging by the still frames, before even starting the video, my tongue has never held any of those positions. Of course I do not have an x-ray machine to find out......

well the last 2 are positioned for overtones...which I had no clue of either until I saw the vids. I did mess with it some the other day and I can hear where it comes from etc.

If you are making all of the vowel sounds then your tongue is probably hitting all of the positions. It was a shocker for me one day at work when for whatever reason i was singing an "ee" in the bathroom and when i looked in the mirror I freaked out because my tongue was balled up in my mouth looking like a frog sitting in there. I had no idea! lol

turns out now my tongue is about an inch longer than when I started singing lol. of course we know its not really longer but the increased muscular control etc means I can stick it out way further and it gets more tightly focused etc