I recorded some stuff for you all to listen to with your ears.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Alright. So I've been working with Rob Lunte. It's coming along, I can bridge and stuff now. It's just transitioning all of this into actual songs.

I have a real important audition coming up at the beginning of February which I'm incredibly worried about. I wanted to upload stuff so you can all offer advice.

I recorded this just with my webcam mic and windows sound (ahhhh, good old windows sound). No cuts, no editing, nothing (I need to learn these skills)

Belief - John Mayer

http://www.box.net/shared/g14jodxly0

Dream On - Aerosmith

http://www.box.net/shared/2xpkjor3gz

Isn't she lovely - Stevie Wonder

http://www.box.net/shared/4f3v6v7udu

I have to do this song for the audition and this recording is the first ever try I've had of any section of the song (except maybe for drunkenly shouting 'ISN'T SHE LARVELIE' on a drunken saturday night. Barely know the lyrics and I think it is obvious I am reading them along and stuff. Needs to be worked on.

Be BRUTALLY honest. I need it now more than ever.

I only listened to "Dream On." I have to admit the other songs didn't interest me.

Anyway, great tone in your voice. Keep that. I totally applaud you phrasing the lyrics in your style. Excellent way to make the song yours and end useless comparisons.

I'm not sure what changed. Maybe you were nervous and not confident in the beginning, as there was some pitchiness, mostly slightly flat. Second stanza, you were spot on and didn't miss a lick. So, take whatever you did with the second stanza ("half my life's in luck's written pages, lived and learned from fools and from sages...") and put that at the beginning part. Like a said, a wavering beginning that finished strong. Just copy and paste, so to speak, how you were feeling near the end to the beginning and I think you have it nailed.

Ronws: Thank you. For some reason the second stanza is just somehow easier to sing also. Isn't that weird? I'm not sure what is different. I didn't realise I had my own style lol, maybe it's my poor ability shining through and manifesting itself in some way. I dunno, anyway there were some pitching issues all over the place. I've really no idea how to change that. Any advice? I cannot hear it whilst I'm singing.

Analog: It's for this university course in vocals at a place in London called Tech Music. I dunno if I'll get in :/

Even if I do, I want to be really good before I go there, as it is mostly about networking.

Well, if it is just a pitch issue, then you keep practicing correct pitches until it gets better. No magic spell, no magic vowel, no guarantee that you will walk on water. But the thing is, you were on pitch more often than not. That's why I thought it was a viewpoint thing, especially considering how hard on yourself you tend to be.

Don't worry, I was raised the same way. Nothing you do will ever be good enough, ever. So, you might as well beat yourself up before the others can. That way you can control the damage and perhaps, they won't bother someone who's already beaten.

We have someone here to keep that going for us. It won't matter how good one sings, how perfect everything was, the best one will get is something similar to that was almost worth listening to. Now if one could just learn to sing. I know where that comes from, too. Hypercritical upbringing where power is in criticism and so that is how "adults" behave. We are both victims and copies of our parents. Sorry to get psychoanalytical on you, but these things can affect everything else.

Some insightful stuff there Ronws :) Nice to know someone else on here in the same boat (though I assume, in some ways, we all feel like that)

Although I always prefer when someone is honest with me instead of sugar coating things with niceness and social etiquette, as that can only halt progress.

I've tried learning songs note for note, in order to stay on pitch, but it doesn't help.

I've tried singing into tuners, but am always at least 20cents +/-, have no idea how to make it more stable (I saw a post recently where Steven F. said to be around 4cents +/-). I've no idea how to get it better. Also, I'm not sure exactly how that would translate into actual singing to be honest, unless you sing with a tuner there and ensure you are always hitting the right notes, providing the tuner could even keep up.

I agree, trying to be too nice won't help. If you've really botched it, someone needs to let you know. But I don't believe in unnecessary cruelty. So, I give a short assessment of what I think the problem was and how I would fix it. What I am not understand is how you could be off in the first stanza and on in the second. So, I figured you were more relaxed and confident as time when on. Confidence and relaxation are key in matters of balance. Take my word, I know what I am talking about. Have you ever ridden up in a 60 foot bucket truck (some call them cherry pickers)? Or a 60 foot boom lift? How about climbing a 90 foot stadium pole light, so tall it sways in the wind (has to in order to keep from breaking)? I have. The only way not to fall is relax. When you relax, your body makes minute adjustments and keeps you upright. Likewise with singing. Allow the body to correct itself.