Rate this topic

You Can Do It!... Singing is an athletic endeavour, you have to train the strength, motor skills and ears to get better. Most people will see great improvements within 60 to 90 days.

The whole "singing is a genetic talent" myth just refuses to die. Pretty much everything I've learned someone has told me I could not learn, and I've even been told I am a genetic anomaly to be able to sing some high notes (give me a break I struggled A LOT to learn that). People try to compare it to sports "not everyone can run as fast as Usain Bolt". Except singing isn't running, it's just making sounds with your voice.

Is there a genetic component to it? Maybe, I don't really think so. But it's stupid to blame genetics when your range peaks at E4

1 hour ago, Electric said:

The whole "singing is a genetic talent" myth just refuses to die.

And will continue to not die so long as people DON'T understand that the speaking voice ( physiology & acoustics ) is radically different then singing. When you live with your potential instrument all your life, you tend to believe that it is something you are born with. Until you realize that it is an athletic endeavor. 

Pretty much everything I've learned someone has told me I could not learn, and I've even been told I am a genetic anomaly to be able to sing some high notes (give me a break I struggled A LOT to learn that).

Unfortunately, People that make statements like this are shameful and it spotlights what they DON'T know. If any so called voice coach ever says anything to you like this, find the door and walk out. Try to get your money back. You don't need to pay someone to be insulted by ideas that are not even remotely factual. 

People try to compare it to sports "not everyone can run as fast as Usain Bolt". Except singing isn't running, it's just making sounds with your voice.

This is where I disagree with you. It IS very much like an athletic sport. Some people can intuitively do it better then others, but that doesn't mean that those that have less "gift" can't do it... "Just making sounds with your voice"?... ya right, its not "just" anything. It is a very difficult thing to do for most people.

Is there a genetic component to it? Maybe

Yes.

But it's stupid to blame genetics when your range peaks at E4

Agreed, start training.... training in some sense, is about everything you do ABOVE E4. ( as a man).

Let's not forget that people who learn how to sing may very well have used singing technique in their voices in speech, f.ex. if they are used to projecting, speaking emotionally, whining, crying, shouting at soccer games, singing along to the radio.

How you've used your voice before singing may change with personality. F.ex. I am a very controlled person and rarely raise my voice when I'm angry or upset, while others may shout and make a lot of sounds that reflect their emotional states. Just look at the Ricky Lake show.

Being able to run very fast has to do with the girth and amount and types of muscle fibers and insertions and limb lengths, Vo2 max etc. The muscles of the voice are really small and it's not really the same. What is athletic about singing is that it takes training

Being able to run very fast has to do with the girth and amount and types of muscle fibers and insertions and limb lengths, Vo2 max etc. The muscles of the voice are really small and it's not really the same. What is athletic about singing is that it takes training

I agree that it's different than running. So is shot put,  hammer throw, pole vault, swimming, and a number of other athletics, all different from each other. The muscles used for singing (incl the vocal folds, shape of the vocal tract, respiratory, etc) are no different in that respect. They are trained in particular strength and coordination for a particular athleticism.

Let's not forget that people who learn how to sing may very well have used singing technique in their voices in speech, f.ex. if they are used to projecting, speaking emotionally, whining, crying, shouting at soccer games, singing along to the radio.

How you've used your voice before singing may change with personality. F.ex. I am a very controlled person and rarely raise my voice when I'm angry or upset, while others may shout and make a lot of sounds that reflect their emotional states. Just look at the Ricky Lake show.

I think your right about this. I have been teaching for many years now and have had the pleasure of working with a lot of foreign speaking students. A persons native language and general speaking habits and attractor state, most certainly influences their ability to sing or do certain things with their voices. Anyone that tells you otherwise is broadcasting their lack of experience teaching or noticing this important clue to the riddle of singing well. 

For example, as a general statement, Koreans are amazing singers, so are Philipinnos, Italians, Spanish speakers and English as well. English IS favorable for singing.

On the other hand, the Following languages can present problems that consistently appear repeatedly; Eastern European languages, Russian, and to a lesser degree, French. Lots of throaty resonance. And the common American speaker that just is speaking too throaty... you have to fix that for the singing voice.

4 hours ago, Electric said:

Is there a genetic component to it? Maybe, I don't really think so. But it's stupid to blame genetics when your range peaks at E4

this like 100x.

Usain Bolt would be along the lines of a controlled E6 lol. People havent even learned to access headvoice yet they blame genetics and limited potential?

Thats like if you are too fat to walk down to the corner and back and its hopeless because you dont have the genetics of an elite athlete? no its more like you dont even have 1/2 ounce of willpower or determination perhaps

I just love when you get nonexperts in singing that say "nope you can't learn to sing. It's a natural talent you have to be born with" and I'm like yeah try telling that to some of the most famous singers in music that required coaching/lessons. Man that grinds my gears when they say that!

26 minutes ago, The Future Vocalist said:

I just love when you get nonexperts in singing that say "nope you can't learn to sing. It's a natural talent you have to be born with" and I'm like yeah try telling that to some of the most famous singers in music that required coaching/lessons. Man that grinds my gears when they say that!

Maybe it's because of the american idol thing where everyone is a professional couch jury. Sort of like when my mom explains why Usain Bolt did a bad race once, cause obviously she knows better than Usain Bolt how to run lol

3 hours ago, Electric said:

Maybe it's because of the american idol thing where everyone is a professional couch jury. Sort of like when my mom explains why Usain Bolt did a bad race once, cause obviously she knows better than Usain Bolt how to run lol

It’s words like that which will result in somebody start trying to learn much later in life or not at all.

Actually I think a better analogy for singing is dancing rather than running. Running is just about being the fastest, and it's not like singing is about belting the highest note and then that's it. It's movement, coordination, endurance, grace all combined. It doesn't take special genetics to be an amazing dancer, it takes skill and some form of sensitivity to what is graceful and bodycontrol.

2 hours ago, Electric said:

Actually I think a better analogy for singing is dancing rather than running. Running is just about being the fastest, and it's not like singing is about belting the highest note and then that's it. It's movement, coordination, endurance, grace all combined. It doesn't take special genetics to be an amazing dancer, it takes skill and some form of sensitivity to what is graceful and bodycontrol.

I compare it a lot to learning to write.