I’m not sure how to pick the right audition song for my voice

Rate this topic

L.A.

Hi there! So I’m very new to singing, but I’m wanting to try and take a leap of faith, and audition for a local musical. I’m having a lot of trouble picking the right song though. Since I’m a beginner, I really don’t know where my vocal range is either. I’m able to sing along with most pop songs, though, and am decent at matching pitch. 

The part that I’m going for is a tenor E-G# (and I have absolutely no idea what that means other than tenors are generally the higher men’s octave). I’m also nervous because I’m a transgender guy with a voice that hasn’t dropped yet, and that’s the highest men’s role in the show (Hello, Dolly). I’m worried that I’m biting off more than I can chew with this one, and still pretty hesitant to audition, but for now I’m just going to keep pushing forward and try to pick a song to audition with.

Thank you for any advice!

• 1 month later...

Hi L.A.!

Sorry you haven't received a reply until now.  You may have already auditioned by now? 

I'm going to simply go ahead with my thoughts on this, if the audition came and went, at least maybe you can use this info for other future opportunities.

Here's what I think is your best resource for this desire/goal of yours to sing/perform:

Find a song that has emotional relevance for you. A song that in some way really inspires you (lyrically), and one you really enjoy musically (a song you feel you "match pitch" well on!)

Record your performance and submit it here for Draven or Robert to critique. They will most certainly give you primo advice!

I think it's still only ten bucks to submit a "review my singing" video. If not, it's worth twenty easy!

It's a good sign that you are nervous about this! Why?  It's because you never progress/grow unless you challenge yourself!!! right? You've heard that before.

Good luck L.A. !!