Is phlegm okay?

Rate this topic

axd218

Is phlegm build up normal when singing? When i throat gets phlegmy, i access my full voice easier and high notes dont feel strained anymore. Only downside is that it makes my voice a bit rattly and on high notes its hard to keep them "clean". High notes arent strained but the phlegm kind of muffles the sound, otherwise i like the rattly feel and sound because it gives it a kind of "rock" edge.

Ive been smoking for 4 years and suffer from chronic post nasal drip if that helps.

Hey axd218,

Draven's video is all excellent advice. Only thing I would add is: eliminate or drastically reduce ALL dairy from your lifestyle. Dairy is a major producer of mucous, Major!  I'm a dairy lover so I know how hard it is to abstain from it, but if you like to consume dairy as much as I do, eliminating it will prove to you just how much less gunk your body will produce in reaction to it.  Humans are not built to eat/drink dairy. AND, Phlegm will screw up vocal effects, especially distortion! AND, men who eliminate/reduce dairy are at a lower risk for prostate cancer.

haha thats gonna be hard for me to do. if anything, i should quit smoking to cut back on phlegm, but atm it hasnt been a huge hindrance to my singing. one question, am i relying too much on phlegm to access higher notes? ill get a video up tmw after work, but my problem is that, at the start of the song, i'll hit high notes w relative ease. then somewhere halfway, i end up losing my technique and tone and i lose that gritty and deep quality of my voice. my "belt voice" ends up feeling too heady. any tips or techniques i can use to "check" myself throughout the song?

edit: ive recorded a quick clip. anyway i can post it w/o uploading on yt? im a bit self-conscious when it comes to singing in front of a camera, thx

On 01/04/2018 at 7:53 PM, axd218 said:

am i relying too much on phlegm to access higher notes?

Phlegm is in no way something to rely on.  it is something to eliminate. It will interrupt vocal fold closure and even cause you to cough in the middle of singing a note.

You may be confusing the idea of hydration with phlegm.  Good hydration, a wetness sensation in the throat, is beneficial. Dehydration, dry throat and vocal folds, not good, results in wear and tare, singing fatigue.

So, avoid alchohol, yes, stop or reduce smoking, rewatch Draven's video for hydration tips. 

make sense?

k