Keir118

Why could I suddenly hit this note?

Rate this topic

As far as Im aware I have a pretty average chest voice range. the highest I can sing are the likes of fear of the dark by iron maiden.

Recently I went to see Testament live and understandably I was getting pretty into it. When the singer was saying the typical “are you guys ready” sort of stuff I yelled back “f*ck yeah!” as you do. 

Somehow I accidentally yelled extremely high and loud (enough for me to hear myself) and I somehow hit this really high note that I have never been able to deliberatly do. Im talking like the trooper and hallowed be thy name range which is really high for me.

Its funny because the exact same thing happened to me when I seen Diamond Head live too. 

Im wondering what made me able to do this so that I can start meaning to do it. Was it just because I was so in the moment and put so much effort into the shout? Or is this not possible? I dont think ive ever tried putting that much effort into singing before due to fear of injury so im wondering if this is what “belting” is?

14 hours ago, Keir118 said:

As far as Im aware I have a pretty average chest voice range. the highest I can sing are the likes of fear of the dark by iron maiden.

Recently I went to see Testament live and understandably I was getting pretty into it. When the singer was saying the typical “are you guys ready” sort of stuff I yelled back “f*ck yeah!” as you do. 

Somehow I accidentally yelled extremely high and loud (enough for me to hear myself) and I somehow hit this really high note that I have never been able to deliberatly do. Im talking like the trooper and hallowed be thy name range which is really high for me.

Its funny because the exact same thing happened to me when I seen Diamond Head live too. 

Im wondering what made me able to do this so that I can start meaning to do it. Was it just because I was so in the moment and put so much effort into the shout? Or is this not possible? I dont think ive ever tried putting that much effort into singing before due to fear of injury so im wondering if this is what “belting” is?

I think there is a fine line there. You DO have to be "into it" to hit certain notes etc.

BUT, just getting excited and yelling isnt going to get you anywhere. Your capabilities can be built over time and then they are there for you after you warmup a bit etc

I personally dont think there is anything wrong with testing yourself and "going for it" on occasion, just to see what you can do, but first you should establish some reason to test yourself. In other words lets say you get all pumped up and go for some high notes and you hit certain notes. Ok, there is no real need to do it again tomorrow or even the next week lol. Get into a CONSISTENT training routine and let some time pass and then you can have decent expectations of improving gradually over time

Ive lost 60 lbs since last April. It wasnt from getting excited and crash dieting one day or one week. It was from setting up a boring eating program and following it.

Extra air support can cause the Bernoulli Effect (think of the concept of "lift" on airplane wings), creating a vacuum in the vocal tract, therefore causing more narrowing and compression which could allow you to "hit" those notes. You were, essentially, forcing a head voice note with a lot of compression, support, and involuntary TA muscle contraction. It's also a way to "hit" those higher notes that is straining and puts you at risk of pulling, tearing, or otherwise injuring things in your vocal tract.

You can train to sing those notes instead of "hit" them. Singing involves learning to relax and coordinate, control, and strengthen the musculature needed to sing in that range with different sound colors.

Do you currently train, or are you self-taught?