Long Way to the Top

• TMV World Legacy Member

I know I have posted a bunch of stuff recently. But this one, I am really looking for some insight. I know the timing is off on the choruses. For one thing, I feel the song, rather than the background vocals which are usually on a clicker track. But what I am really looking at is the tone and timbre. I went back to some old school, for me, thinking.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8750209/longway.mp3

And here's an acoustic version. The difference, among other things, is that I play it on the guitar in the key of A and the karaoke track in the first one is in Bb.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8750209/Longway%20-%20acoustic.mp3

I listened to both and I think your version (acoustic) is the best - it totally rocks Ron.

Great singing, no sign of straining , solid rock feeling, superb man !

The 1st one sounded kinda strainy, maybe it was really high, maybe it was the excitement, I don't know but

it lacked the flow and ease the 2nd one has.

I also fancy the acoustic version, really good job on that one! The first track was a little strained on the top notes, at least I thought the second one sounded much more relaxed and comfortable for you.

I liked the vocal colour you're getting at with this one!

(Off topic: for me this song is so much School of Rock with Jack Black. Maybe 'cause I've seen that movie so many times :P)

Now, ain't that funny. The acoustic is less strained for me. And I also like it better for the timing issues, as well.

Thanks, Thanos. The acoustic is my campfire version. And Yes, Marcus, I have seen "School of Rock" way too many times and now I wish I had included some of those improvised lyrics. Damn it. I bet, next time, I will do that.

As I have noticed, I've been getting better reviews of stuff I am doing acoustically, basically, "live." Which is my comfort zone. I am used to singing and playing in front of people. Be it club, dance hall, campfire, New Year's Eve party, any place they don't throw me out of. More than once, my wife will be dancing to "Hold on Loosely" by .38 Special and there I am, singing along with Donnie Van Zandt. Recording against someone else's prepared track has been problematic. But there is a groove, an organic feel live. That is why I dont' think drum machines and clicker tracks can ever replace a human drummer.

On the acoustic stuff, I'm not doing anything other than compression to even the levels. I am so used to matching the guitar when I play, that I think it's giving me a better "mix" than trying to mix voice into a track mixed by someone else.