Fun Tip

Rate this topic

Matt

Good youtube ripper, dead easy to use. Also converts files:

http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

For when you want to DL karaoke tunes at youtube and mess around with at home. Lots of fun for all the family!

*Edit, changed to correct link for youtube ripper :P

yeah Ive been having great fun with that and audacity :)

Billy theres an audacity trick at youtube that teaches you to remove vocals. Cant remember what they called it, but I tried it once and it actually worked well

Edit: Heres how to do it:

Ill have a look at that Snorth.

having loads of fun with just that program and a silly laptop though, especially since I havent sung in ages! Watch out for dodgy karaoke tracks that include backing vocals that you have to sing along to on the chorus though!

Time to hit Bon Jovs Dead Or Alive I think!

Exactly, Matt. I will listen to your song in a minute. But I specifically had an issue with the background vocals in "Rainbow in the Dark." In the ending chorus. Their timing was off.

And Audacity can remove center-panned vocals. They also remove instrument tones in the 2kHz to 4 kHz range. And they don't remove vocals panned left and right. I found that out trying to do "Immigrant Song" and you could still hear Plant's slapback echo because that part was panned to separate channels.

That was neat. Were you using the delayed double track echo you talked about previously in another thread? Where you dupe the vocal track and then time-shift a smidge and lower the volume on the second track (old school)?

. Were you using the delayed double track echo you talked about previously in another thread? Where you dupe the vocal track and then time-shift a smidge and lower the volume on the second track (old school)

Exactly. The echo effects are too arbitrary/clumsy for me. This is quicker too. Just select the track you want to duplicate, ctrl + D, and move it a smidge. I dont really know what the hell Im doing apart from that, but I realize just enough to hear that the vocals need to be at least a little wet to not stand out like a sore thumb.

Neat. It's nice to hear the actual auditory effect, to compliment the technical description. I have been having problems with latency. When I am singing with the music, I'm right on the beat, not using play-through (headphones on and cupping one ear) but in playback of both tracks, the vocal track has become elongated. I can line up the vocal onset at the right spot but the rest is off time. So, I've tried adjusting latency correction.

The default settings are:

audio buffer 100 ms

latency correction -300 ms. I achieved some better results, post recording, of adjusting to +230 ms and I'm going to try and re-record with the latency adjusted, if I can. Then, I chose "mix and render" and that helped a little bit.

As for echo, I often choose delay time = .25 and decay factor = .10. This provides one repetition at a lower volume.

Latency is a bitch, so to speak. I've hunted it for years during studio sessions when I was an instrumentalist. Those settings are very high ronws so something is amiss. You can calculate your exact latency by manually routing your output to your input, record a transient sound and zoom in so you can see exactly how many samples off the latency is. Then calculate it into ms and enter it in the compensation. Takes a few minutes but once done your almost golden (any additional plugins will add to the problem). Using windows you must get asio drivers or a sound card or else you'll be hundreds of ms off all the time.

So, it could be a sound card problem, even though I am using a USB device and have set USB codec as the preferred and default output and input sound devices.

I never have this problem when singing and playing guitar together but then it's all on one track. "What happens in one track stays in one track."

Should I also change the audio buffer from 100 ms to something less? A note in that dialog box says higher values are more latency.

I fixed the problem. In Audacity, you have tool called tempo shift, which will change the tempo of the track without changing pitch. Since problem was actually that Audacity was elongating the vocal track, regardless of where I started, it seemed the best way to compensate for how Audacity is playing it back. And it worked.

yeah, audacity used to start my vocals about half a second after the beat. I assumed it was something to do with the crappy sound card and just moved the track by hand. Then it just stopped doing that.

do you mean how I paste the whole youtube in my post at TMV?

* Paste the youtube link in your post

* Select it

* click the youtube button above, so that the link gets surrounded by: your link

I also tested Snorth's link and it worked well too.

do you mean how I paste the whole youtube in my post at TMV?

* Paste the youtube link in your post

* Select it

* click the youtube button above, so that the link gets surrounded by: your link

I also tested Snorth's link and it worked well too.

thanks matt!

np ;)

Its a lot more fun listening to ones lame efforts against a reasonably sounding background!

Heres one for you:

I might even have a bash at it myself

go for it buddy....the part where he sings in the middle .... "as cold as ice to me" that "me" has that "ring" that steve talks about. i think singing his stuff develops you more.