Ed's Sheeran "raspy" voice

Rate this topic

IvanMot

Hi Everyone! I can't figure out how Ed adds that raspy, kind of distortion thing to his voice on high notes (G#-A#). The Best Example is a chorus of his song Dive.... It's driving me crazy, I've been trying to imitate, I've been asking some vocal coaches... nothing, for the past half a year... Please, if you have a hint, may be you've seen a video on YouTube regarding this... Appreciate in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Well, just about that song, I showed it to a couple of vocal teachers that I had, and one thing they both pointed out is that Ed sings it all in chest voice. I think that is the reason why he sounds so "raspy". It is a really high pitch for singing in chest!! But Ed manages. My teachers say that he must end up really tired after singing that song.
Anyway, maybe some kind of belting (based on mixed voice) could make a similar effect, and without needing Ed's register.

Oh, and I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of Ed having edited the pitch after the recording... As far as I know, that is common.

I kind of wish people would make up their minds about how to sing certain songs. Is it Chest voice that is pushed and supported or Mixed voice or supported falsetto with rasp.

Even vocal scientists cannot tell you HOW a certain singer is getting his sound. And how YOU would or could get a similar sound depends on your level of training and how you create your own sound when singing.

I would not worry about Ed's particular rasp, that could just be from a certain characteristic of HIS vocal cords. Sing like you sing. Listen to yourself often and change what does not sound to your liking. You may find that your own voice has characteristics that Ed would be jealous of down the line.....