New Way to Practice

Rate this topic

Quincy

Something I discovered today that seems to be really helping my breath support, resonance, cord flexibility, centered notes, ease in production…hmm… I guess just about everything. :D

I have a bunch of song backing tracks and use those to practice with. So today I duplicated the backing track and then used a time stretch tool (Cubase) and lengthened it about 3-4%. Using this slower version (same pitch as original) I was able to really relax even more and it just seemed like there was a ton of time to put more little runs, vary dynamics, add vibrato, etc. ,etc. and keep the air pressure above and below the cords way more in balance. Many of those spots I’ve had a hard time with just disappeared. The more you relax, the more you are able to do. And then the really fun part…I would then use the original backing track, at normal speed, and there was a huge transfer of better technique instantly.

I’m going to continue playing around with this as I’ve only done it today. But I think it has great potential. Besides making you relax more, it seems to really help with your onsets; that are so critical in setting up the entire phrase to flow smoothly and keep your control.

That's a really cool idea. I'll definitely try this tomorrow. What do you think of speeding it up?

with vlc media player you can adjust the playback speed up or down in small increments. it adds a nice change of pace to your workouts.

That's a really cool idea. I'll definitely try this tomorrow. What do you think of speeding it up?

Good idea, I thought about that also, but haven’t tried it yet. I’ll give it a go tomorrow!

Let me know how this works out for you. Hopefully you will feel what I did.

Another idea along the same line. I might try upping the pitch on a track and also slow it down. Maybe on a song that has some difficult high notes. Practice that a bit then go back to the original track (lower key and faster tempo).

I would think changing things up like this makes you practice different coordinations but using the same song. Seems that would be good for breaking down bad engrained habits and finding other cool new ways to express the song.

Singing songs slowly, with or without backing tracks - I'm beginning to like that way of training more and more. It gives you time to adjust your throat muscles on those long notes to create balance. If the words and melodies are flying at you too fast, it's more of a challenge, so I suspect it can be very helpful to first learn your tough songs slow and then increase the speed later.

What a cool idea. In Audacity, there is a tempo change function which will speed up or slow down a song (by percentage value) without changing pitch. There is also a speed change function that will also change pitch. As well as a pitch function that changes pitch. When I play a song on the guitar and it's giving me trouble, I will slow it down, but I never thought of doing that with the recording.

I did have a problem with Audacity stretching out the vocal track but I fixed that by change tempo .1 %.