Can you review my singing covers please?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I've always loved to sing but I've always been shy to show it to the world.
I had singing lessons in the past but once I started a university degree I stopped singing and focused on my degree.

I am now stable in my job but this passion for singing has never gone away.

Could you give me your feedback please?

Thank you so much, this means the world to me.

I have a youtube video singing a capella: 

And also some covers on SoundCloud: 

I only listened to the first one; sound OK, its in tune and you lift the notes well enough, your voice type is of similar to Adele I would say, A dark mezzo. Try something a bit more challenging like rolling in the deep or fire in the rain or something

13 minutes ago, sideshow said:

I only listened to the first one; sound OK, its in tune and you lift the notes well enough, your voice type is of similar to Adele I would say, A dark mezzo. Try something a bit more challenging like rolling in the deep or fire in the rain or something

Thank you so much for the feedback @sideshow! I will try something more challenging! 

(Nice background story.)

I'd say that practically all songs are challenging. If you are not challenged, you either don't get the song, or you are not working hard enough.

Anyway, to give a credible performance the way you did, and to do it a cappella (nowhere to hide), would definitely challenge a lot of singers.

I'm hearing more heady tones, and less of the "darker mezzo" sound. I can hear the darker rich mezzo tones "lurking" in your voice, but you don't really bring them out?

Maybe I am biased. All my favourite female singers use that mezzo sound.

(You in London? Brexit just took a nasty turn with the permanent status application thing.)

18 hours ago, kickingtone said:

and to do it a cappella (nowhere to hide), would definitely challenge a lot of singers.

Not always! As you have no instruments you must keep up with and in time with. Pitch and rhythm is at your own pace

4 hours ago, sideshow said:

Not always! As you have no instruments you must keep up with and in time with. Pitch and rhythm is at your own pace

The challenges are very different, but not absent.

With solo a cappella, ALL the focus is on the singer's voice. It's a lot less forgiving place to be when it comes to tone, consistency, relative pitch, expression and dynamic.

Instruments help a lot when it comes to expression and dynamic. For example, a phrase emphasized by drums punching through becomes a lot more difficult if the voice has to communicate a similar "punchiness" on its own. In a mix, it is easy to be fooled into thinking the voice is doing much more than it is. If you were to hear the vocals solo, it would really put the difference in perspective.

Even if the voice is eventually going to sit well in a mix, it can still sound very uninspiring by itself, unless the singer can generate enough depth, fullness and dynamic of sound. That is where the challenge is.

[OK. Read a couple of your other posts. I know who your are. BYE!!!]

On 8/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, kickingtone said:

(Nice background story.)

I'd say that practically all songs are challenging. If you are not challenged, you either don't get the song, or you are not working hard enough.

Anyway, to give a credible performance the way you did, and to do it a cappella (nowhere to hide), would definitely challenge a lot of singers.

I'm hearing more heady tones, and less of the "darker mezzo" sound. I can hear the darker rich mezzo tones "lurking" in your voice, but you don't really bring them out?

Maybe I am biased. All my favourite female singers use that mezzo sound.

(You in London? Brexit just took a nasty turn with the permanent status application thing.)

Thank you for your feedback and giving a different point of view! In fact, all songs are challenging, provided we want to give our very best singing it. 

I know I still have to work but these feedbacks gave me the confidence I needed :) 

Thank you for the tips on what I need to improve. 

(Yes I live in London! Fortunately I have a permanent job here so my residency is not under “threat” but I do wonder what’s going to happen to other people who don’t have stable jobs) 

Thank you for all the feedback guys :)

This is like an audition for me haha :) showing my voice to the world...you guys are giving me the confidence I needed.  

I’ve always thought about having a YouTube channel and singing covers and maybe sometime collaborate with other musicians! 

So I guess my next steps will be to invest in that :) 

8 hours ago, Joana Gomes said:

Thank you for the tips on what I need to improve.

I was really only mentioning another option, rather than an improvement on how you chose to sing. I think that your voice seems to also be suited to a smooth mezzo sound. Maybe that could be something to explore and try out on another song some time. See how that goes down. You could be pleasantly surprised.

YouTube has its fair share of trolls, a small minority to be ignored. People with bizarre complexes can go to weird lengths to try to discourage you. Don't give them undue attention. That would be my only YouTube advice.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, kickingtone said:

I was really only mentioning another option, rather than an improvement on how you chose to sing. I think that your voice seems to also be suited to a smooth mezzo sound. Maybe that could be something to explore and try out on another song some time. See how that goes down. You could be pleasantly surprised.

YouTube has its fair share of trolls, a small minority to be ignored. People with bizarre complexes can go to weird lengths to try to discourage you. Don't give them undue attention. That would be my only YouTube advice.

Thank you, I will try that! Do you know any songs I could try?

Yes, that is the scariest side of YouTube. But I guess we need to be ready for that and ready to ignore as well :) thank you for your advice!

On 8/22/2019 at 5:07 AM, kickingtone said:

On 8/24/2019 at 3:45 PM, Joana Gomes said:

Thank you, I will try that! Do you know any songs I could try?

Yes, that is the scariest side of YouTube. But I guess we need to be ready for that and ready to ignore as well :) thank you for your advice!

KT (or better know as SLM) talks a good game, but in reality he has never worked in music before, never sang or played publicly before and never taken any form of musical training what so ever, so therefore his advice at best should be taken with a pinch of salt or even ignored. Because while we are on this subject his first piece of advice to me when I started is "I hear darkening of the valves" when infact it was more of a nasil brighter tone, took me ages to work out what he was talking about and took me even longer to work out that he was wrong!