Rate this topic

Erdem Alsırt

Hi. I am 20 years old. I born in 27 July 1999. I am un-trained singer. My voice get acid reflux damage since 2017-2018 and it makes maybe a little bit lower but nowadays i try to recover my voice health. Anyways, people calling me as "Baritone" or "High Baritone" and i'm tired because of this Baritone stuff. I always call myself as Dramatic Tenor (Low Tenor) because i think my voice is high pitched for calling as Baritone. But, some people say; "Your voice sounds too heavy to calling you as Tenor.". My voice is really heavy for become a true Tenor? :( I always want to get light voice timbre like spinto Tenor's at chest voice. I sing "I'll save you" a rock genre song made by Jordan Sweeto. Here is two different version;

My voice version;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzhpiUOGa4

Original version (Jordan Sweeto);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diwDG-06Nc

My vocal range (Un-trained voice);

Chest range; E2 (Very weak as whistle talking but still possible to reach) up to B4 and not barely C5

Falsetto max note: G5 (Sounds like screaming) (Also my falsetto sounds like Mickey mouse and airy)

What's a problem? My voice doesn't deserve for calling as Tenor? :( Is Jordan Sweeto he is Tenor? And i'm Baritone? :(

Look, i always like Tenor type voices. And i don't wanna calling as Baritone anymore. I am really bored about calling Baritone thing. Tenor sounding more light, more sweet and better i think. My voice is more heavier than him? :(

Stop worrying about what people are calling your voice. It does not matter until you are up for a certain role in an opera or a musical theater  production. Until you are formally trained it does not matter anyway.

They call Bob Seger a tenor because he sings between D4 and B4 on most of his songs but he has a deep raspy voice like a Baritone and they Call James Taylor a Baritone because he sings most of his songs Below G4 and he has a light and high sounding voice.  It just does not matter for most singing what your voice is called.

You sounded real good in that song and that is what matters. 

1 minute ago, MDEW said:

Stop worrying about what people are calling your voice. It does not matter until you are up for a certain role in an opera or a musical theater  production. Until you are formally trained it does not matter anyway.

They call Bob Seger a tenor because he sings between D4 and B4 on most of his songs but he has a deep raspy voice like a Baritone and they Call James Taylor a Baritone because he sings most of his songs Below G4 and he has a light and high sounding voice.  It just does not matter for most singing what your voice is called.

You sounded real good in that song and that is what matters. 

But why i can't sound lighter as Jordan Sweeto? :( If you listen original song, you hear difference?

5 minutes ago, Erdem Alsırt said:

Well if Jordan he is Tenor that's why he sounds at high still comfortable and light voice. But my voice sounds heavy. I am scared about if i'm a Baritone? :(

Stop worrying about labels.

Use all the richness of your tone in whatever range it works best, and stop falling for all the tenor nonsense.

I have a baritone voice, like most males. I ignored all the tenor hype when I started to learn to sing, and I am very grateful that I did. Be thankful that "god" gave you a nice base in your tone.

6 minutes ago, kickingtone said:

Stop worrying about labels.

Use all the richness of your tone in whatever range it works best, and stop falling for all the tenor nonsense.

I have a baritone voice, like most males. I ignored all the tenor hype when I started to learn to sing, and I am very grateful that I did. Be thankful that "god" gave you a nice base in your tone.

Okey but how can i learn my voice type? I am still obsessed. :(

12 minutes ago, Erdem Alsırt said:

Okey but how can i learn my voice type? I am still obsessed. :(

You took the word right out of my mouth. You have to decide whether you want to be a singer/artist or an obsessive.

Right back when I started singing, and some very insistent folk were advising me how to sound, and I listened to their examples, I thought whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Why would I want to sound like that? I couldn't care less what it was called. All that base, cadence, and dynamic chopped out, and the sound held back? That just wasn't for me. I love the base in the baritone sound. 

But if you have no taste, and can't hear differences in what you are aiming for, and are only doing it for a label, then that is not art. And a singer has to be an artist.

3 minutes ago, kickingtone said:

You took the word right out of my mouth. You have to decide whether you want to be a singer/artist or an obsessive.

Right back when I started singing, and some very insistent folk were advising me how to sound, and I listened to their examples, I thought whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Why would I want to sound like that? I couldn't care less what it was called. All that base, cadence, and dynamic chopped out, and the sound held back? That just wasn't for me. I love the base in the baritone sound. 

But if you have no taste, and can't hear differences in what you are aiming for, and are only doing it for a label, then that is not art. And a singer has to be an artist.

But you know Baritone is the most common male voice type. Which is means not Diamond. Nowadays most people loves to hear Tenor voices because they sound light, sounds very good for ears and sounds soft and never heavy? Nowadays almost in the pop music, almost everyone is Tenor. There is just few people who is popular and Baritone singer. But still most of people in the pop, they are Tenor. :( 

7 minutes ago, kickingtone said:

19 minutes ago, Erdem Alsırt said:

Okey but how can i learn my voice type? I am still obsessed.

As Kicking tone is trying to point out, Why label your voice and try to fit in a box and limit yourself?  You can call yourself a Low tenor if you want, but others will put labels on you that fit their own definition not yours. With Training you can learn how to make the voice sound lighter and you can learn how to make it sound heavier to fit a wider variety of sounds. Which one you  decide  to use in which song is part of being an artist.

3 minutes ago, Erdem Alsırt said:

But you know Baritone is the most common male voice type. Which is means not Diamond. Nowadays most people loves to hear Tenor voices because they sound light, sounds very good for ears and sounds soft and never heavy? Nowadays almost in the pop music, almost everyone is Tenor. There is just few people who is popular and Baritone singer. But still most of people in the pop, they are Tenor.

Do you really JUST want to sound like everyone else? The ones who stand out and keep a career are the ones who sound different and break the mold. Not just another cookycutter singer plucked off the shelf.

Just now, MDEW said:

Do you really JUST want to sound like everyone else? The ones who stand out and keep a career are the ones who sound different and break the mold. Not just another cookycutter singer plucked off the shelf.

I mean i don't want to copy others voice but, i want to have Tenor voice. I hope i'm a naturally a Tenor. :(

8 minutes ago, Erdem Alsırt said:

But you know Baritone is the most common male voice type. Which is means not Diamond. Nowadays most people loves to hear Tenor voices because they sound light, sounds very good for ears and sounds soft and never heavy? Nowadays almost in the pop music, almost everyone is Tenor. There is just few people who is popular and Baritone singer. But still most of people in the pop, they are Tenor. :( 

I'm not even sure that the classification makes much sense today, with all the electronic editing that goes on. You have microphones designed to add warmth to the tenor voice, or special editing done to add base.

You can't hear the difference between your own clip and the other one, yet you are saying which "most people" would prefer? It's mostly in your head.

Just now, kickingtone said:

I'm not even sure that the classification makes much sense today, with all the electronic editing that goes on. You have microphones designed to add warmth to the tenor voice, or special editing done to add base.

You can't hear the difference between your own clip and the other one, yet you are saying which "most people" would prefer? It's mostly in your head.

By the way i sing in Head voice at 1:50 on my video. My head voice sounds tenor head voice?