Aerials (SoaD)

Still looking for a way to cut through the sound. I think I handle it a tiny bit better. Recorded with the cheap mic I can now use, which was probably held too close (but well, I don't know how to hold it properly yet :D). I also find my tone to be overly dark, which is a bit unusual (even when I was singing). I can't say I like it, but I don't dislike it either. And there are timing problems, as usual, but they seem to be slowly but surely fixing themselves up. I didn't get the impression of breaking, but when I hear me, it seems so on some parts. I didn't need to lower the instrumental as much as I did previously, and I think I only upped the vocals by like 2 dB. That's the only thing I did to it.

I actually was surprised to see this fitting my limited range quite easily, so maybe I'm not quite on the right pitch.

As always, trying to improve, I welcome any comment, bad or less bad :)

I'm particularly interested in knowing if there's even the slightest bit of twang (that ever elusive twang !) going, and if the intensity is okay.

As always, original version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSiTbkpbnUs

and then, well, mine : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14571174/Aerials%20cover.mp3

Or, you could be getting better at singing higher than in the past. That is, your "normal" range is reconfiguring, so to speak. A lot of your problem is the mic and believe me, I know all about that. I think you can sing with more "edge" or louder, like the original singer, though it's not necessary to sound like him. On the last, where you hum, it's a nice touch and I wish to hear it louder than the original singer's voice. Your range sounds so even, I think you have done well, connecting top and bottom. Kudos for giving your vocals more volume. It can really help, even as a learning tool, to hear what you are doing.

I have a friend that writes her own songs and has even played at open mics. But, truly, she sings so quietly you can barely hear her. And then, put a mic in front of her, and she will sing even softer, like she is afraid to hear her own voice. Then, I pick up her guitar and blast out with "Land Down Under." Hoping that she will get less shy. But it doesn't always help. Anyway, I want to hear you blast one out.

You have a good voice and I want you to make my ears bleed.

The voice in the background is, I think, Daron's voice (the guitarist, who sings a lot in SoaD. Wonderful voice).

Well, it is true that I have an easier time with the fourth octave now. More "edge" hmm. I'll look into it. Not quite sure how to get it, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Not sure how to make ears bleed either. And I don't want all those nice people 'round here to become deaf ;p

As to your friend, I am a bit like her, or at least, I used to. I unfortunately don't really know what changed, though. Maybe I just needed some kind of confidence boost. I'm still shy as all hell and can't even dare to think about singing in front of more than a few people, typically family. But it's improving, slowly. I'd guess she would benefit from singing in front of just a few people, if it's really shyness that is the problem. I think mine was more getting that I could do bigger sounds and I shouldn't need be afraid of them. I was speaking with somebody the other day, she was in another room, so I had to use waaaaaaaay more volume than I'm used to (I actually used to speak in just a bit more than a whisper, and could pick up my voice dead on the floor after a short while. I'm working on correcting both the pitch and connection of it, which is much better now), and just realize it happened naturally, wasn't especially tiring, didn't sound weird, carried better, and I tried to hold on to this feeling. It felt weird at first, but I grew accustomed to it. Maybe she just needs to grow accustomed to this part of herself too.

The friend I was talking about, she has a problem just singing in front of us. She will sing so softly and one of us will lean in a little to hear better and she will sing even softer. It's frustrating because she has a good voice. But only a person can lead themselves out of shyness. Perhaps you or others were born with the shame that I was born without. I may not be the best singer and there's plenty that are better than I am. What I do have is a set of gonads.

I will do what I am going to do. If someone wants to stop me, go ahead give that a try and tell me how it's working it out for them. As my mother used to say, I would do whatever I was going to do "in front of God and everyone."

I don't know if I can imbue others with my sense of braggadocio, huevos grande, cajones gigante, shear and amazing chutzpah. And if you have a talent, such as singing, it would be a shame for others not to hear it. Not necessarily a crime or immoral, but unnecessarily stifled. Isn't it fascinating that you can be so self-deprecating, to the point of silencing your own voice from even speaking yet still desire to sing. The human spirit can win out, in spite of whoever it was that made you stifle yourself. There was an old concept "if you meet Buddha on the road, kill him." Well, mayby I need to find whoever it was that made you shut your mouth and give them a little of their own medicine. I might be old but I still have a few skills left.

Believe me, I was raised with the "children are best seen, not heard thing," too. But when it came to singing (at the right time of day) no one stopped me. And I cannot stand a bully. It is an injustice for someone to stifle your voice or cause you to stifle it.

You will get some edge naturally, when you sing louder than a whisper.

Cool man. Good pitch and feel. But if you want to make it sound a bit more authentic and do the song even more justice, try singing the song in the same vocal modes as the original one. It won't make you sound exactly like the original singer and it won't make you a copycat but you'll get the same emotion across and therefore deliver the lyrics and the story of the song much better. The original singer sounds like he's mostly singing in curbing (apart from the very low parts which is in neutral) and you're singing in neutral. Neutral sounds a bit like someone singing a lullaby (with very low volume) and curbing has medium volume and a bit restrained character. Have a nice day!

Thanks devaitis, Jonpall and Ron :)

Still stuck in neutral eh ? Now I'm absolutely lost. I guess I should aim for Edge, then, maybe, I'd end up in Curbing... Or in more Neutral. My voice seems to like Neutral.

Well, at least, I've got the basis of Neutral down, isn't it cool ?

(Edit : I've just received the CVT book, gonna read it carefully. Maybe, finally, I'll figure things out ! And if I don't, to hell with the techniques, I'm just gonna shut down my brain, yell my heart out and crush everything under searing pain, unberable rage and other not so nice stuff. And if it's still Neutral, I'll sing lullabies for the rest of my life).

Thanks devaitis, Jonpall and Ron :)

Still stuck in neutral eh ? Now I'm absolutely lost. I guess I should aim for Edge, then, maybe, I'd end up in Curbing... Or in more Neutral. My voice seems to like Neutral.

Well, at least, I've got the basis of Neutral down, isn't it cool ?

(Edit : I've just received the CVT book, gonna read it carefully. Maybe, finally, I'll figure things out ! And if I don't, to hell with the techniques, I'm just gonna shut down my brain, yell my heart out and crush everything under searing pain, unberable rage and other not so nice stuff. And if it's still Neutral, I'll sing lullabies for the rest of my life).

Or a reasonable facsimile thereof. At the end of the day, you need to sing the way that you feel, whether the song is soft or hard, or whether your feeling for the song is soft or hard. Or a different feeling entirely. I've taken some hard rock songs and did them in a country style, just for a different feel. I thought about and I noticed, on my drive to work or coming home from work, I may sing a song or two but often, I experiment with the sound. And rhythm. For example, the other day, listening to KISS, "I want to rock and roll all night and party every day ..." That chorus repeats quite a number of times after the guitar solo in the bridge. And would sing along except for the word "day" and I would sing that extra loud. Basically putting the accent of the phrase on a different spot than one normally would.

And maybe I'm just a big, brash american (a given) and I like things loud and proud. Your singing is fine. I just want to hear more of it, louder. There was one time you did "Sweet Child of Mine" and you sang with the right volume, at least as much as I could tell. Maybe you are letting the mic limit you. That's happened to me, too.

Archived