How do you tell a friend they're making themselves hoarse?

Rate this topic

Joanna

When you hear a singer straining their voice in live performance , what do you do? or if they sound OK on stage, but are strained & pushed in talking afterwards?

What if you don't know someone well, but mean them well? What are effective ways people have found for hinting to someone that they should get some help??

• 7 months later...

I sing in a salsa band with two other, very inexperienced (and frustratingly so I have to admit) singers. They sing out of comfortable range all the time and therefore strain their voices. I've said something to one of them before, but since they have absolutely no clue about technique, the comment doesn't help them to adjust. I save my voice instead of getting frustrated because they don,t understand and are not interested.

if your friend does have a clue about vocal technique, let them make their own mistakes. If you don,t know them, do not offer advice- that is mine:)

Joanna,

I would like to know if they actually ever get hoarse? Just because the speaking voice sounds a bit weired after a heavy singing session doesn't mean that any harm is done. Singing requires much more muscle activity than speaking and therefor when you are done singing it can take some time for the muscles to "gear" down and that can be the reason why the speaking sounds a bit weired until the muscles are relaxed.