Critique my voice

It's difficult to sing a capella. Maybe I had too much earwax but it sounded like you modulated near the end. Modulation is changing the dominate key of the song. It's a well and good.

As for what voice type, it depends on which perspective. The notes of the song are in mid and upper baritone, a comfortable enough range for most people. But you have a light tone to your voice. And you might be able to sing higher, or lower, but I am betting higher. And, as you express more dynamics (volume swells, tonal varieties, and range) you may find your range shifting or widening. I am of the opinion that your range is defined by what you can do with the greatest variation over those dynamic elements, rather than what your lowest usable note is. The classical safe bet would be to say you are a lyrical baritone. As opposed to say James Hetfield, who would be a dramatic baritone.

But sometimes, it's better not to ascribe a label until later. Labels can be limiting. I am reminded of the case of a student of classical singing who came to a new teacher. He had been classed and trained as a baritone and thought of himself as such. But was having a problem bringing full power to the lower end. So, the teacher, just for grits and shins, had him try some lighter toned higher stuff. And it turns out he was actually a lyric tenor, misdiagnosed by previous people.

Thanks ! But is it normal that when I hear my voice,i just think it sucks..? mental problems ? lol

It is normal. Most people don't like their own voices. At least in the begining :)

That's why you've got to build some self confidence over positive advices. And not let yourself drown if there are bad comments. The voice can always be improved, is personal, and is about personal tastes. I believe everyone can learn to sing and has a good voice, in the end, it's all about finding it, and having the right people listen to it :)

Thanks ! But is it normal that when I hear my voice,i just think it sucks..? mental problems ? lol

Yes, in a word, it's a mental problem. No offense. Some of the greatest singers have thought that their voices stunk and that no one had caught on to them, as yet. Even when they sounded fine. You are hearing your voice through your own psychological filters. It is the hardest thing to hear your own voice objectively.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived