New to this forum, need some guidance! ;-)

Rate this topic

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, and in a way new to singing as well. I'm the bassist/vocalist for a Stoner Rock trio in Belgium, and we've just restarted our band after an 8 year long hiatus (Covid messed up our restart 2 years ago). Thing is I never even had a minute of singing lessons and struggled with the combination of bass + vocals in the past, though I stuck with it and was able to pull off some decent enough shows. I never felt comfortable with the way I used my voice and always felt I wasn't doing it 'right'. So I'm starting from scratch again, and yet again I'm unable to afford paying for singing lessons (tough financial times), so I figured I'd figure it out myself with the help of more talented and experienced people online. 

This clip is from a self produced (amateur level) ballad, which doesn't fully display my vocal ability and of which I'm pretty ashamed when I hear it now - it's around 10 years old. If you'd have any comments, positive or negative, be sure to let me know!  

Anyways, looking forward to taking in all the knowhow on this forum.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, Bright Midnight said:

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, and in a way new to singing as well. I'm the bassist/vocalist for a Stoner Rock trio in Belgium, and we've just restarted our band after an 8 year long hiatus (Covid messed up our restart 2 years ago). Thing is I never even had a minute of singing lessons and struggled with the combination of bass + vocals in the past, though I stuck with it and was able to pull off some decent enough shows. I never felt comfortable with the way I used my voice and always felt I wasn't doing it 'right'. So I'm starting from scratch again, and yet again I'm unable to afford paying for singing lessons (tough financial times), so I figured I'd figure it out myself with the help of more talented and experienced people online. 

This clip is from a self produced (amateur level) ballad, which doesn't fully display my vocal ability and of which I'm pretty ashamed when I hear it now - it's around 10 years old. If you'd have any comments, positive or negative, be sure to let me know!  

Anyways, looking forward to taking in all the knowhow on this forum.

you seem like your in exactly the same stage in life as me , mate i think we gotta stop worrying about training and range , just a few little exercises and singing practicing mostly everyday will get us to where we want to be , 

• 2 months later...

Hi, Bright Midnight.

I listened to the track. First, a recording technique suggestion... boost the EQ 6dB in the 3800-3200 Hz frequency range.  This will increase the presence of your voice, and help it to stand out in the mix (and in performances).

As to your voice... I think you would benefit from some practice sustaining all vowels on single pitches, 'clean'.  Even 15-20 mins a day at this will increase vocal production stability, and help you to discover the more resonant production you have in you.

That will get you started.  BTW, your voice reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison on early Doors recordings. 

I hope this is helpful,

Steven Fraser