voice producing strange sound (buzzing)

Rate this topic

paquijote

This is not me singing, but this is an example of the question I am about to ask. When I sing, there seems to be a kind of "buzzing" sound, as if something were perhaps obstructing my vocal chords. Listen carefully to the singer in the video: you will hear it. He is a very good singer, but I personally am concerned about my voice. I do not know if this is a sign of damage or if I'm doing something wrong, or if I could lessen this "buzzing" when I sing... Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

The video:

This is not me singing, but this is an example of the question I am about to ask. When I sing, there seems to be a kind of "buzzing" sound, as if something were perhaps obstructing my vocal chords. Listen carefully to the singer in the video: you will hear it. He is a very good singer, but I personally am concerned about my voice. I do not know if this is a sign of damage or if I'm doing something wrong, or if I could lessen this "buzzing" when I sing... Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

The video:

paquijote: This gentleman is singing with a classical tone quality, with twang, also known as "singer's formant'.

Post a recording of yourself, and by hearing, we can help you ascertain if the 'buzzing' sound you have in your own voice is what we would expect.

Thank you for your response Steven! Here's the link to a brief recording:

http://www.box.net/shared/291gm4e4px

The "buzzing" is more pronounced when singing open [a], particularly around 0:14. There is no pain whatsoever, I'm just a bit worried. I have take classical voice lessons, and am currently in search for another teacher in Denton, Tx (if you know anyone...) However, the buzz is still present when not singing in a "classical" style. Please let me know about the recording...

Denton? Alright. I live in Grayson County.

Anyway, I'm just a listener and I think the linked performance and your performance are fine. I'm not a vocal professional in any sense of the word. But I think you are easily carrying a clear tone. And kudos to that performer. German is not an easy language to sing in because of the way words end on a consonant or two. (I know because I speak German.)

I like to keep things simple because I am a simple guy. If the singing is not causing pain or loss of voice afterward, there is a good chance that nothing is wrong.

actually i think it somehow sounds like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zroG9QWNc < 4.26 - 4.27.

was that achieved by laying back too much support and air?

when i sing some songs, and hit a certain range in my singing, i will sound like that. even when im all out singing..

actually i think it somehow sounds like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zroG9QWNc < 4.26 - 4.27.

was that achieved by laying back too much support and air?

when i sing some songs, and hit a certain range in my singing, i will sound like that. even when im all out singing..

Ah that was nice. Are there any women teachers doing this? Sometimes it's hard to relate.

• 7 years later...

This is my friend singing. He claims that he has a buzz when he sings. He also finds it weird cause when he uses vocal pitch detectors its says that he can belt up to an F#5 which he thinks isn't possible. Can somone tell me if the buzz in his voice is a good thing or a bad thing?

Voice 053.m4a