Sean McConnell’s Singing Technique

Quincy

I love this guy. He shows some great emotions in his singing. Bluesy and quite intense in a soulful way. This is my favorite song of his and reminds me some of Chris Robinson, with the Black Crowes. It sounds to me like he uses a lot of cry; kind of like a whimpering high cry onset to his phrases. Then there is the rattle sounding parts, some sort of distortion. Maybe overloading the vowels; I suppose that is creaking in between modes. Or it could be he uses a lot of cry on certain words that he over pressurizes just a smidge.

What do you guys think?

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Sean+McConnell:Lie+Baby+Lie:26557291:s69701287.15961016.43986864.0.2.11%2Cstd_4e8c700bf0944ce683f147f33a0ab36d

My guess:

He sings mostly in curbing. He's sometimes using distortion as rasp and sometimes creaking. Distortion when the rasp is crispy with high overtones and sounds like additional sound placed on top of his normal, slightly twangy sound, and creaking when he sounds slightly like he's singing with a bit of a squeezed tone (like he's overdoing the hold and the volume at the same time). But that's just my guess. As always, it sounds best when there is an emotional drive behind these vocal sound effects.

I love this guy. He shows some great emotions in his singing. Bluesy and quite intense in a soulful way. This is my favorite song of his and reminds me some of Chris Robinson, with the Black Crowes. It sounds to me like he uses a lot of cry; kind of like a whimpering high cry onset to his phrases. Then there is the rattle sounding parts, some sort of distortion. Maybe overloading the vowels; I suppose that is creaking in between modes. Or it could be he uses a lot of cry on certain words that he over pressurizes just a smidge.

What do you guys think?

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Sean+McConnell:Lie+Baby+Lie:26557291:s69701287.15961016.43986864.0.2.11%2Cstd_4e8c700bf0944ce683f147f33a0ab36d

quincy,

like a blues country thing....i like this guy..thanks for the introduction to him...what cd is this?

Yea he has the country blues thing going on a lot. He’s been gaining popularity down in my neck of the woods and makes it through town more than a few times a year. A great song writer with some awesome sounding pipes.

The first time I saw him was in my hometown at Gruene Hall. Blew me away. One of those guys that sounds better live than on CD. I think his first show here was an opening act that caught everybody off guard. I would have hated to have been the main show that followed.

Here is a clip of him playing Gruene Hall a few years back. An electric guitar version. I’m surprised I wasn’t caught on tape dancing on the table with a Lone Star in my hand. Ha ha!

“Lie Baby Lie” came out on his Cold Black Sky album about 5 years ago and he also has a facebook page where you can listen to all his songs. Here’s his link.

http://www.myspace.com/seanmcconnell/music/albums/cold-black-sky-15961016

Yea he has the country blues thing going on a lot. He’s been gaining popularity down in my neck of the woods and makes it through town more than a few times a year. A great song writer with some awesome sounding pipes.

The first time I saw him was in my hometown at Gruene Hall. Blew me away. One of those guys that sounds better live than on CD. I think his first show here was an opening act that caught everybody off guard. I would have hated to have been the main show that followed.

Here is a clip of him playing Gruene Hall a few years back. An electric guitar version. I’m surprised I wasn’t caught on tape dancing on the table with a Lone Star in my hand. Ha ha!

“Lie Baby Lie” came out on his Cold Black Sky album about 5 years ago and he also has a facebook page where you can listen to all his songs. Here’s his link.

http://www.myspace.com/seanmcconnell/music/albums/cold-black-sky-15961016

good stuff, good stuff

Archived