Don't stop believing - cover

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jonpall - The song is coming together for you nicely!!! Comparing the two takes - here are my thoughts - the difference I hear is you are much more comfortable with this song now. On the first one it sounded like it wasn't quite "in your voice" yet. (This is what my wife and I say when we are in the beginning stages of working on a song.) The rhythm is a little off and vowel pronunciations aren't in "control", the pitches are not exactly perfect all the time, etc. On the second take your control is much improved. It is "in your voice" - you don't have to devote thought to acheiving pitches or rhythm anymore and you are free to try lighter or beefier weights. Ron is right - it sounds more relaxed.

This is a really cool discussion so far (selfishly because I'm now two days into recording the song myself and I'm really analyzing everything). After listening really carefully to Perry I realize that my previous CVT analysis of him is, well, crap.

Anyway - Sounds great! Keep on recording new takes. I am spending more time re-recording songs now, taking maybe a week or two of re-recording and improving. It makes a huge difference.

Geno

jonpall,

agree with Guitartrek. Your vowels sound way better on this take. Definitely has an "in your voice" quality that it didn't have before.

EDIT

{Pulling audio. Will re-record and create a new post at later date.}

analog - that sounded pretty damn good! I like your rhythmic guitar playing and your voice can more than handle this song. Nice version. Both you and jonpall make this song seem easy and it is not an easy song.

Geno,

you're far too kind!

I can't play guitar and sing this song at the same time(or rather...I shouldn't play and sing this song at the same time :) ) I am still a LONG WAY from being comfortable singing this song in a live setting. I'm so glad that we're finally tackling Perry on the forum as he is my personal "toughest to pull off" in a live setting. Someday I'll get a new computer and be able to record properly again.

Look forward to hearing your version, which will no doubt be INSANE.

I agree with Geno.This was a campfire version. And totally rock and roll. You did it your way and I didn't realize how fluid and limber your voice is. You could hit any note in the song and did so, your way. How does one play this song at a party or around a campfire, possibly with a borrowed guitar, no prep, just grab it and go? Well, like you did, Analog. And that is rock and roll. Yeah, I know, you were far away from the mic and it didn't pick up all the tones of your voice. But I could still hear you were on pitch. And, most importantly, having a blast.

And, whether he's had time to say so or not, I think jonpall is kind of pleased this thread has taken off. Not so much applause for him, which he does, in fact, deserve for his stellar performances (especially, in my opinion the latter, which I think is better, emotionally), but that it has inspired so many to comment and bring what it means to them.

I like the performance but honestly, you're not using your natural voice. I think you're trying too hard to sound like Perry. You don't have to sing it like him, do your own thing. A couple of the notes were a bit pichy... but besides that, it's good!

Archived