Vocal Compression...?

Rate this topic

LuiC345

I've been in so much trouble lately...and I just bought The Top 7 Secrets of the High Mix by Jesse Nemitz. You see, I'm loving it, but this obstacle is really defeating me... and I have a peformance, and this high note, and well, all I'm doing is really yelling. Somehow does not hurt, but there's this tension (a little!)

Now, if I want to succeed in vocal cord closure, I must have good compression. I keep doing my excersises like a "mum, mum, mum" on the first one and then a "muh" legato. On the "muh" I get this breathy sound. I can hear air passing through, but it sounds like "half" the sound of a full head voice, it's not like falsetto. I thin out easily, and there is no breaks, flips or cracks.

Now, I really, really, need help please! How could one learn how to execute vocal compression?

P.S. Also one more thing! I think there is one excersise I find hard which is the "ah" excersise, a nasty sounding, edgy, staccato "ah". As I sing higher, I can feel the air passing through, and maybe if I practise this, this could help me

most arpeggio exercises train the folds to adduct.

stacatto "ah" arpeggio exercising helps with compression and helps with onsetting a note...hitting the note spot on'

also try goog and gug with a little cry sound..which helps train the folds to adduct.

I used to be really iffy about it SS before but now it's helped me get what I wanted, especially after I subscribed to their videos with a 50% off special. In their full videos there's tons of things you'd never see. Brett does some high head voice with grit which sounds really awesome. They also talk about breath support, but under the guise of something "natural" like a powerful abdominal "HUH!," sort of like in the CVT examples for curbing.

I used to have the same problem as you, with them always saying more more more compression, I learned that I was compressing too much and had to let the cords loosen and relax a bit.

For the Jesse Mum, muh exercise I found it helpful to keep the volume in check and also the airflow. Try making the quietest hissing "s" sound you can with a tiny amount of air, without using any of the neck to control the air. Concentrate on a steady, small flow of air out. It's like doing a hmmmmm hum but opening your lips on the pitch changes with an m consonant.

I also had a terrible problem with the staccato exercises in the Top 7 secrets and in Mastering Mix because the attacks would always get stuck in my throat. I concentrate on having my head and cavities take most of the resonance sensation and make sure that the tongue isn't causing throat tension, especially on these.

One thing that they emphasize is to make the attacks quickly and deliberately. I find if I take to long to make the sound it doesn't end up as strong or as compressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIDJNUBVHfc&feature=relmfu

Chris Keller talks about that kind of edgy Ah sound here too.

Their video lessons site is really nice. I missed that 50% off special though!

A way I like to quickly get a good level of compression is a simple "OWWW!" , just say it exactly how you would if someone reach over and pinched you real hard and you should pretty much have it. Brett does it in one of the female videos. The related exercise once you have that is "Meow", just dig in a bit more on the Ow part if you're focusing on compression.

That said, I think you need to address the "all I'm doing is really yelling" part completely before adding compression to the high note you are having trouble with. Adding more compression to your strained yell will just make it sound more yellish and hurt you more. There's a good chance you are not thinning out nearly enough, it's probably the number one thing they are correcting their students in the online lessons.

It's easier to get more compression with gug and goog, as opposed to mum. I actually did a search on all of VIDEOHERE's recommendations of the gug and goog exercises on this forum and it was one of the keys that unlocked slightly extra power for my just yesterday :) Thanks, Bob.

Yes, thank you, I will try those excersises in a schedule with the gug or goog excersise. So, I'm gonna work on a clear head voice first then this then that (because to Jesse Nemitz's DVD there are 4 building blocks, and you have to start with the head voice that is clear)

Gugs and Googs are very good exercises for compression. However, I've always had trouble with them because those syllables make me constrict quite a bit. I didn't think there was a wrong way to say a G but I took some lessons with Jesse and he said I was doing them wrong. I believe it's because the back of the tongue goes up to touch the roof of the mouth which, if you are having issues with constriction (which the OP indicated), can just add to your troubles. Jesse had me use the Buh exercise instead since that builds the pressure more with the front of the mouth. That's also why I like the loud "Ow" as it's a very open sound and teaches you to compress without any consonants.

Cool. I suggest people try out all those things. The only thing about mums versus gugs, is that if you feel you can't get enough compression from mums, you should try gugs or googs because there will be a bigger build up in pressure. Of course you need to make sure you don't pressure TOO hard. But yeah, you can use the B or the D consonants, f.ex., if you like, as long as you make sure that you're singing slightly like you're holding your breath at the same time and keeping a low larynx (for that type of singing).

It's easier to get more compression with gug and goog, as opposed to mum. I actually did a search on all of VIDEOHERE's recommendations of the gug and goog exercises on this forum and it was one of the keys that unlocked slightly extra power for my just yesterday :) Thanks, Bob.

glad to hear it buddy... that was taken from a roger love cd...i really like it with the cry sound...did you notice a nice workout feeling in the laryngeal muscles?

Just another one... about the clear head voice?

I set up a schedule for myself in a span of 4 months, I'll work on my head voice.

It goes like this: in the first month, I'm gonna work on chromatic order (so like C, then C#, etc.)

For example:

Month 1: Clear Head Voice

Start the tone with a vocal fry by using certain words and on a chromatic scale like "ee", "oo", "nah", "nay", "mum", "gug", etc. on Week 1-4

Month 2: Work on a light edge, like the edgy staccato exercises provided by Jesse Nemitz Top 7 and/or Singing Success

Month 3: The Chesty Edge, i think this is done to "thicken" the sound with a bit of chest mixture, need suggestions for exercise (maybe Top 7 from Jesse Nemitz)

Month 4: Nasal Resonance (having that particular ring for resonance) need suggestions...

This, according to Jesse Nemitz, is the components of the high voice, which could help me with my head voice.

I still need some suggestions and help...thanks!