Can someone explain to me how he does this?

Rate this topic

gno

This is a great performance. I know some people may not care for him, but to me, he is like a vocal "shredder". He's got so much control and at the same time incredible style and taste. Please go to 3:09 to hear the lick near the end of the song. Starting on a A4 to an F#5. What mode is this? How the does he do this? I'm pretty sure there are some people on the forum that can do this, but I'm not one of them. I would really like to learn how to do this.

It sounds like starting on A4, whatever mode is in he stays in the same mode throughout the entire lick. It can't be overdrive because he goes way over the upper limit. Is this curbing? Or MLN? It seems too heavy for MLN.

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-headlines-in-national/adam-lambert-highlight-of-american-idol-2011-elimination-show-video

Of all the AI performers, Adam is my favorite, in range, style, and sheer power. I have bare feet since he rocked my socks off with "Whole Lotta Love." And lost all but 3 brain cells when he performed with KISS. He is phenomenal and could do anything in the world that he wishes to do. And Seacrest spoke correctly when he said that Lambert set the bar. And has the Elvis Presley looks to go with it.

Anyway, a good creak, but relaxed and some deep twang. That's my thinking.

I'm having an Adam Lambert discovery. Please check this video of the original and go Directly to 3:40 and check out the screaming on G#5. Now that is fricking insane. He doesn't seem to go in and out of different modes. It's all like one continuous mode. How do you get that tone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8y9CmAAnEY

I'm having an Adam Lambert discovery. Please check this video of the original and go Directly to 3:40 and check out the screaming on G#5. Now that is fricking insane. He doesn't seem to go in and out of different modes. It's all like one continuous mode. How do you get that tone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8y9CmAAnEY

geno, i saw his unplugged version on ai where he was a lot more toned down as far as his "look" and his approach to the song.

to me, he's out to rebuild his image and work to be perceived as more reachable and vulnerable to his audience.

i agree with you totally great vocals, great song too.....but i'll bet that's not as hard as it seems... he just is one of those guys who's not afraid to go for it, but i did notice how his tongue jutted out of his mouth at one point.

he's got a high range that's for sure, exudes a lot of confidence..perhaps too much at times.

i think some guys just know how to make a spectical out of a note or a run (and i say that with respect for him).

he knows the hot buttons, those notes that can potentially arouse our senses without our even being cognisant of it.

Adam uses MLN mostly for his highnotes. he mostly uses the powervowels aaaa yeah and so on thats why it gets so powerfull :P and he also applies a truckload of twang so every modeswitch becomes practicly unhearable :P

Now im not adam lambert so dont expekt a miracle but i think he uses a similar approach for the highnotes as this.

The low shit is abit off, but hey this is just for show :P

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27403234/women.wma

Adam uses MLN mostly for his highnotes. he mostly uses the powervowels aaaa yeah and so on thats why it gets so powerfull :P and he also applies a truckload of twang so every modeswitch becomes practicly unhearable :P

Now im not adam lambert so dont expekt a miracle but i think he uses a similar approach for the highnotes as this.

The low shit is abit off, but hey this is just for show :P

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27403234/women.wma

nice jens....what's with his sticking the tongue out........ for more space?

Proably something some vocalcoach thaught him, it can be done both ways. Sometimes he does it and sometimes he dont ive noticed :P sticking out the tongue probably gives him alittle more body to the sound as his timbre is very light.

But he cant be doing that approach when he articulates :P

Jens - yes - thats it! Excellent! I want to learn to do that. Is that false fold distortion up there? How are you doing that scream? Is that Edge or MLN? How would you practice doing that? Do you have any excersizes?

Bob - on the tongue sticking out thing - I was thinking he's going for a real high larynx position on those high notes and maybe because the tongue is connected, the tongue out helps bring up the larynx - or - Sticking the tongue out creates more space in the back of the throat because as the larynx goes up, there is less space for resonance. I'm not sure and it would be interesting to know why he does this.