Bob and guys - what do you think of this guy?

Rate this topic

jonpall

hiya jonpall, before i forget, if you (or any of you folks i now consider friends) ever want to call me here at the store (not sure of phone cost or not) please feel free. bob

914-963-8437, new york

now, these are the kind of vocals that i respect, i respect what he's doing, but i'm not wowed by what he's doing because even though i choose not to sing this way, i really don't think this kind of singing is that "hard" in terms of singing as a craft. these notes and sounds seem contrived....or let's say not indicative of his root singing voice, timbre and tonality.

i cannot glean from the singer any passion, or emotion...me personally.

perfect example is gramm doing juke box hero, he's screaming but there's a core tonality underneath the scream that captures the essence of his emotion. he "singreaming" lol!!!!

and i never got into the heavy metal type of sound, or death metal.......i don't go much past aerosmith...lol!!!

how 'bout you?

I think it's mostly a matter of taste. I think both this style and that "Lou Gramm style" are very equally hard to pull off. If anyone else would like to comment on that, it would be cool. And I am NOT surprised at the difference in yours and Thanos' opinions :) I was expecting it. I personally thing he sings VERY well and has got an awesome tone. But I know what you mean, Bob. Ultimately different things turn on different people.

I think it's mostly a matter of taste. I think both this style and that "Lou Gramm style" are very equally hard to pull off. If anyone else would like to comment on that, it would be cool. And I am NOT surprised at the difference in yours and Thanos' opinions :) I was expecting it. I personally thing he sings VERY well and has got an awesome tone. But I know what you mean, Bob. Ultimately different things turn on different people.

yes, you're right. in fact i chatted with steve the other day on my feeling of how steve perry should be sung vs. that guy ricki, (explaining how i thought ricki kinda wimped out singing that way), and he set me straight, in that how a singer approaches a song, his choice of vocal weight is his, and no way is better than the other. in fact you could do perry as light or as heavy as you want and that the more developed the voice is, the more you can pick and choose your weights. he also said, that my way to go about it is the more effortful way, but not a wrong way.

addendum: jonpall, i'm curious what makes you think those vocals the guy in the car is doing are difficult?

jonpall, i'm curious what makes you think those vocals the guy in the car is doing are difficult?

The control over the rasp, mostly. Also the range. Try doing it and then tell me it's easy :) Anyone else want to comment?

yeah...kill the reverb. It's very good, but that style(typically) makes my head explode :) I think the karaoke guy singing Journey was more impressive...but from a technical perspective, I completely "get it." Guy sounds trained.

Also, with high speed internet and all of the great vocal programs/teachers out there, I imagine more and more "Average People" will come bustin' and wailin' out of the wood work. Gotta love Youtube.

Reduce the reverb a bit and it will sound better, just as with any singer in the world. I'm just saying - try singing like this and then tell me it's easy :) . And actually, that guy is just as likely to be untrained as trained. Some f#$%s just stumble onto this stuff.

Reduce the reverb a bit and it will sound better, just as with any singer in the world. I'm just saying - try singing like this and then tell me it's easy :) . And actually, that guy is just as likely to be untrained as trained. Some f#$%s just stumble onto this stuff.

here we go, i'm using my very first face ball .....lol!!!!!!

:lol:

jonpall, i truly believe you could do this stuff......you may not think you could, but i say you could.

i'm learning this one..note the two f5's after 2:27..

Gotta agree with Jon Pall on thisone, it's all a matter of taste whats easyer or harder is up to the individual.

This guy has great control over his voice, modewise moving from overdrive to curb to MLN seamlessly taking on and off rasp as he wants.

Im the other side of the coin id rather listen to the heavy metal/powermetal singers than for instance lougram.

Gotta agree with Jon Pall on thisone, it's all a matter of taste whats easyer or harder is up to the individual.

This guy has great control over his voice, modewise moving from overdrive to curb to MLN seamlessly taking on and off rasp as he wants.

Im the other side of the coin id rather listen to the heavy metal/powermetal singers than for instance lougram.

i hear ya jens, maybe i'm wrong, but i don't feel it to be hard. but as usual i respect everyone's opinion.

The technique he is using is something I don't know how to do. So for me it would be hard. I sure would love to learn how to sing this way - not the song or genre but the high controlled rasp/distortion/whatever. This guy really does have good control over those techniques.

But Bob, how can you say that it doesn't seem hard when you can't do it yourself? That doesn't make sense to just throw out a statement like that. Or maybe you can sing like this? I know this might come off as an insult to you or something, but I hope you know that isn't, and never has been the case. I consider you to be nothing less than a world class vocalist after listening to your version of Change's gonna come.

Yes, I can sometimes do something similar on a very good day, especially if I have been practising that type of sound for a while, but first of all, it has taken me months, if not years or trial and error to get even close to this, on some days I seem to lose the ability to sing like this and also, if I spend a few days working on that "Separate ways" sound, I tend to "forget" how to sing in the other way - so I have to be careful if I want to be able to continue doing it.

Personally, I think he's got awesome control, but I tend to lean on a SLIGHTLY less rasp, kind of like Steven Tyler, David Coverdale and Bon Jovi, but that's just me. This guy is more traditional heavy metal in the realm of Judast Priest and Manowar ... something like that.

Bob, doing that F5 in that clip of yours, i.e. singing it without rasp is actually much, much easier than singing like the guy singing in the car (his name is Fred, btw.). Again, what's the most difficult about this style of singing is keeping that constant rasp without losing your voice.

analog, that clip of yours was hilarious :)

cheverie, you could say that on the low notes he's using chest voice, mixed voice in the middle range and head voice in the high range. A good product to help you experiment with this type of singing is "Raise your voice" by Jamie Vendera, CVT and Mark Baxter's "5 secrets of screaming". You should search this forum for talk about distortion and rasp - you'll find TONS of info on it.

Actually, guys, I have this feeling that Robert Lunte's "Four pillars of singing, 2nd edition" might be pretty good to help people with this style of singing, but I can't say for sure because I haven't seen it. However, this is something that Robert has spent a lot of time investigating, even though I've heard him say that he tends to prefer to sing more clean and rasp on the occasional note instead of on all the time. But I'm not gonna put words in his mouth.

akarawd, it makes sense that his larynx is fairly high, since he's got a pretty light sound colour and it also helps the distortion. But note two things. First of all, in the low range, his sound colour isn't terribly light and secondly, you don't want to move your larynx TOO far up on those high notes or you'll choke on your own larynx attempting it. So I suggest a slight yawn sensation on your inhales, just not as much as you'd do for that Ken Tamplin style of singing.

"Extraordinary" means something that's not common, or out of the ordinary. 99% of guys on this planet can't even get close to this, so I'd say it's extraordinary. But ultimately, music is a matter of taste, so I totally respect your opinion man :)

It's a bit funny. It seems that there's two groups of people here - people who prefer a "sharp" sound (Rob Halford, Axl Rose, Steven Tyler, Bon Jovi, f.ex.) and people who prefer a "thick" sound (Ken Tamplin, Lou Gramm, Michael Bolton, f.ex.). :)

Hmm

99% of guys on this planet can't even get close to this

1% can. Its about 0.01 x 6793800000=6738000 guys. Quit a few. Maybe my sister can. I have to ask :P

Extraordinary -

1. Unexpected, surprising or strange

SYN incredible:

2. Not normal or ordinary; greater or better than usual

Upper part of my post was kind of joke. Don't feel aggrieved ( offended ) at all. :)

Seriously:

Are U suggesting that among objectively decent metal singer this performance was unbelievable vocal achievement? I'm asking because i'm curious. I don't listen much metal music.

It's a bit funny. It seems that there's two groups of people here - people who prefer a "sharp" sound (Rob Halford, Axl Rose, Steven Tyler, Bon Jovi, f.ex.) and people who prefer a "thick" sound (Ken Tamplin, Lou Gramm, Michael Bolton, f.ex.). :)

For me, I just don't have time (in my life) to try to be a master of all styles so I pick and choose different techniques to define my own style. I respect all the different approaches - and I especially respect those singers who've developed good control over whatever style they are singing. The style I am going after is a pop rock style, not necessarily a "metal" style. If I had the kind of control and bag of tricks that Adam Lambert has I'd be a happy camper. His bag of tricks includes being able to control rasp way up in the stratosphere like this guy - again not the genre, but the techniques.

Geno

Are U suggesting that among objectively decent metal singer this performance was unbelievable vocal achievement? I'm asking because i'm curious. I don't listen much metal music.

Yes. Well, maybe not "unbelievable" but judging just from this one clip, he's a very, very good metal singer and it's extremely hard to train your voice to be able to sing like this.

Well labeling adam lambert as a popsinger(sure he is, now) but seriously adam lambert is a talent put to crazytrainging in musical from when he was a child if i remember correct. Talent+ training + fetisch for rock and metal = Adam Lambert :P

comparing a youtube hero to adam lambert and lou gram is unfair. If youd had to pit them to metalsingers pit them to Daniel Heiman, jorn lande ect.