Bob and guys - what do you think of this guy?

jonpall

But Bob, how can you say that it doesn't seem hard when you can't do it yourself? That doesn't make sense to just throw out a statement like that. Or maybe you can sing like this? I know this might come off as an insult to you or something, but I hope you know that isn't, and never has been the case.

jonpall, i told you, i like you, and respect what you have to say..i'm not offended in the least buddy. although i feel it not to be that difficult, i may try it and fall flat on my face....lol!!! but like geno said, it's not a sound i really wish to explore nor am i very desirious of doing anytime soon.

now, i hope i don't insult you, only compliment you, when i tell you man-to-man you are a much better singer than you think you are. you have to get to a mindset that nothing is impossible...nothing!!

you don't know me personally, but i've had more than my share of ups and downs...but i've also had some real nice accomplishments.

like i always say.....the sad thing is you can't pre-acquire wisdom.....you have to wait and get older.....lol!!!!

Phew. I kind of knew you wouldn't be offended because I think we know each other well enough (online, of course) that we aren't going to be mean to each other (or anyone else on this forum) and have to mutual respect. Thanks for the kind words. Right back at ya. One of these days I might call ya on that phone for a friendly chat if I find a way to make it a bit less expensive than it really is :) Note that a few of us here are buddies on MSN as well.

Phew. I kind of knew you wouldn't be offended because I think we know each other well enough (online, of course) that we aren't going to be mean to each other (or anyone else on this forum) and have to mutual respect. Thanks for the kind words. Right back at ya. One of these days I might call ya on that phone for a friendly chat if I find a way to make it a bit less expensive than it really is :) Note that a few of us here are buddies on MSN as well.

sure thing, anytime..i'm on skype too. i wish we could all get together and have a roundtable together. we're all learning from each other...it's great.

914-963-8437

videohere@earthlink.net

b.t.w., what is msn?

Btw guys about the reverb thing, it's used very very often in the studio. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG02viiFlXo Metallica Fade to black - HEAVY amount of reverb on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzD08lifGk&feature=related Metallica The Unforgiven - A lot less but it certainly is there.

Judas Priest Painkiller - Medium amount on this one.

Judas Priest Electric Eye - Quite present reverb indeed.

I'd challenge you to find me a vocal track from rock music where reverb is not used. :)

When I saw the guy singing in the car, I thought, that must be what I look like, only he's about two and a half decades younger than I am. Imagine the guy as a grandpa and doing the same thing. It should scare you silly. A grandpa in the far left lane of our local "autbobahn" S.H. 121 (Rayburn Tollway) cruising at mach 1 and singing "Long Time" by Boston.

That's an interesting point ron!

How many of you sing in the car? For me, I've got a 25min drive to and from work. I have to admit that I'll go through phases where I start my Ken Tamplin vocal excersizes on the way home from work. I know it is not ideal to be sitting, but I've found it no problem if I support properly. The excersizes can take 45min to an hour so starting in the car gives me a head start. It must look a little funny for other drivers to see me doing that!

That's an interesting point ron!

How many of you sing in the car? For me, I've got a 25min drive to and from work. I have to admit that I'll go through phases where I start my Ken Tamplin vocal excersizes on the way home from work. I know it is not ideal to be sitting, but I've found it no problem if I support properly. The excersizes can take 45min to an hour so starting in the car gives me a head start. It must look a little funny for other drivers to see me doing that!

if i'm not in my store, i'm in the car....yes, best place somtimes and the acoustics are dead which i like because the notes are so "visible."

BWAHA! I'm with you, 25 min drive to work, scales in the a.m., rockin' on whatever im working on in the afternoon. wal-mart recorder i hand with mic. I don't care, i just dot care what anyone else thinks, singing makes me happy. "Im a rocker oh oh, and no one can take that away" :)

BWAHA! I'm with you, 25 min drive to work, scales in the a.m., rockin' on whatever im working on in the afternoon. wal-mart recorder i hand with mic. I don't care, i just dot care what anyone else thinks, singing makes me happy. "Im a rocker oh oh, and no one can take that away" :)

Your post is more important than you think. It reminds me of the wisdom of Mark Baxter in the "Rock Singer's Survival Manual."

You are a singer and you have to live as one. It doesn't matter if what you do for a paycheck is collect the shopping carts at Walmart. You are a singer who currently pays the bills by collecting carts at Walmart.

Bob is a singer. He happens to be an award-winning singer who works at a video store that he owns. I am a singer who does electrical work and now manages the office of an electrical company. I am a singer who plays guitar.

Steven is a singer who happens to work as an instructor for other singers. Robert is a singer who happens to work as an instructor for other singers.

In other words, you have to view yourself as a singer first, who does these other things. For the singer is his/her own instrument. It's not something you can put away in an Anvil ™ case.

So, it doesn't matter where you are, do what you do, which is to sing.

I don't sound like Geoff Tate but my friend, John, a huge-o-monstrous Queensryche fan, never once complained when I was singing "Breaking the Silence of the night, can you hear me screaming? I see your face in the neon light, I must be dreaming ... " while perched on top of a ladder terminating wire junctions in a junction box. Yes, that is an odd image. Deal with it.

Archived