Been a while

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've just started singing again after a 15 year absence. I play guitar/bass/ and piano and have taken lessons on those instruments at some point in the past. I've never had any formal singing lessons but plan on starting those in the near future. I used to sing lead in a band from my teens through my late 20's.

Thought I would post this song I recently sang to. It's rock, and I feel my technique could use some guidance. I'm just not sure what is making me feel less confidant in my singing than I used to. Maybe it's just that I'm not back to form yet? Any suggestions would be welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/cedrorum/tsg-final-ref-mix-3-13-11

I couldn't hear any lack of confidence, so I am confused by that statement. It sounded fine to me except that the music arrangement seemed monotonous, to me. It would help if the chorus was a little different than the stanzas. And maybe a bridge. But those are just stylistic choices of mine. The song was good, just different than what I expect from a song. But the singing was fine. So, I don't know what it is that you think is wrong.

Thanks for the reply. For me, a few parts sound a bit pitchy. Also, my vibrato in a few places sounds "off" or something. Since I haven't had lessons, I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is actually wrong, and if so, how to correct it.

cedrorum - Your voice sounds really good. A big part of singing is forming the the vowels optimally and it sounds like your doing a good job with the vowels. Also the rhythm and phrasing is right on - I'm sure that comes naturally to you. The slight "pitchiness" is very very minor - we are always extremely critical of ourselves when listening to a recording. I would say that good breath support would help you in this area, it would also help your vibrato become more consistent - but your vibrato sounds fine to me also. A good practice routine that excersizes different vowels throughout your entire range would help you concentrate on good and consistent breath support. There are instructional videos out there that are excellent.

Thanks for the feedback guitartrek,

The pitchiness always stands out to me and with additional takes I could obviously correct that, but it still bothers me. Thanks for the comment on breath support. My suspicion is much of my singing will get better as I practice/sing more. When I last sang 15 years ago I had been doing it for 10 years or more so my voice was pretty conditioned at that time. It seems harder that I thought it would be to sing at that caliber again after not singing for so long. I still feel I can't give full force on some notes without getting pitchy. Part of that is probably just not being as strong in my singing because of lack of practice and techniques I'm unaware of. I'm thinking that will get better as I sing more and take some lessons to make my technique better. The good news is at least 2 of you on this forum don't think it's awful. That's good positive feedback for me.

Archived