Something that works for me

Rate this topic

SH

Sometimes I find moving the stuff we learn in excercises into the actual lyrics and music of a song a little tricky. I've developed a half way step that I'd like to share incase it helps anyone else.

Nursery Rhymes.

Nursery Rhymes are short, you probably know a couple. When you sing them, you sing in your own voice, you are not imitating someone elses sound. You can sing them in a lighthearted, relaxed way. You can use them to practise breathing, posture, twang, placement and to push the boundaries of range. Try Row Row Row Your BOat, and key change it up a semitone every repeat. Or down, of course. I've just found them to be a fairly stress free way of taking stuff from the excercises, into real words and music.

Sometimes I find moving the stuff we learn in excercises into the actual lyrics and music of a song a little tricky. I've developed a half way step that I'd like to share incase it helps anyone else.

Nursery Rhymes.

Nursery Rhymes are short, you probably know a couple. When you sing them, you sing in your own voice, you are not imitating someone elses sound. You can sing them in a lighthearted, relaxed way. You can use them to practise breathing, posture, twang, placement and to push the boundaries of range. Try Row Row Row Your BOat, and key change it up a semitone every repeat. Or down, of course. I've just found them to be a fairly stress free way of taking stuff from the excercises, into real words and music.

yes, great idea because you have no well known singer tied to a nursury rhyme. imagine if you grew up relating to somebody like tiny tim doing nursery rhymes...lol?

Well, I do think that finding our own voice and our own sound is one of the greatest challenges we face. What we are good at singing is not necessarily the same as what we enjoy listening to. Just because I like listening to Christina Aguilera, doesn't mean I should sing like her (even if I had a 5 octave range). And I love Jazz, because replication is definetely not the name of the game. You are not expected to sing a song like Ella Fitzgerald - you are expected to put your own creativity into it. But where can you explore your own creativity, and your own voice, without writing your own music. Nursery Rhymes. Learning a new piece from sheet music without having heard it before can be good too.