Some questions - clip included

Rate this topic

adarth

Hi All,

Link to the clip below. Attention - in strange language :)

http://w271.wrzuta.pl/audio/azivUEfqHrI/cowaznejest

Recorded with some MXL990 condenser microphone. It is just like recorded without any amendments (I mean eq, compression or any other tricks )

Questions:

1. Is this sung correctly?

2. What kind of mistakes do you hear?

3. What do you think should be changed?

Another question especially to Steven Fraser. Could you please make an your analysis of this clip? I mean your very useful technical analysis (nice graphs) with explanation abut lack of singer's formant ;)

It is not very difficult but needs some energy so I support these notes (hope correctly...). I also use vibrato because it is easier that to sing without it. :)

I very appreciate your comments. We are trying to record our demo. We do this by ourselves and for our own pleasure but it doesn't mean that we do not want to do this the best as we can... Smile

Br,

Robert

Questions:

1. Is this sung correctly?

2. What kind of mistakes do you hear?

3. What do you think should be changed?

Another question especially to Steven Fraser. Could you please make an your analysis of this clip? I mean your very useful technical analysis (nice graphs) with explanation about lack of singer's formant ;)

Robert: Here is a spectrograph of the final note, the B-natural.

IMO, the sample was a little too short to get a sense of your overall timbre, however this note has some characteristics on which I can comment, and which are visible in the graph and audible as well.

1) You mention that you are singing with vibrato, and that can certainly be seen and heard.

2) You indicate that you think the tone has a lack of singer's formant. Mostly, I agree... but there is a little. You can see the emphasis between the two vertical red lines, which brackets the usual 'middle' of the region. The 6th harmonic is right in the middle of it, and shows about 10 dB emphasis when compared to the 5th and 7th harmonics.

3) The tone quality of this note is very open, much like a 'belt', which can be heard and seen, as evidenced by the strongest harmonic, harmonic 2. By comparison, for a tenor chiaroscurro tone, the 3rd harmonic would be the loudest. As to whether your vocal production is 'right'... I think that depends on what sound you were after, and whether or not you can sustain your technique without strain... things that I cannot deterimine for sure with just a few seconds of hearing. :-)

4) With #3 said, I think this last note sounds a bit tight. How does it feel to you?

Thank you very much Steven. I got exactly what I asked for :D I love your analysis. :)

I do not have problems with that note and during recording session I repeated it many times. We recorded three takes, each sounds ok. Of course it is quit high, needs energy and it is rock music so it can be a little tight. :D

Below the link to whole chorus. Recorded quite fast so some mistakes can be easily found. ;)

http://w636.wrzuta.pl/audio/1X8u8cmhypo/chorus

Br,

Robert