A Message To All Of You Classical Singers

Rate this topic

Nathan

I have nothing but the utmost respect for everything you do. Us contemporary guys, we cannot compete with your brilliance. We are good, but we ain't THAT good!

Last night I sang Scarlatti's 'O Cessate Di Piagarmi' in a church. I attend the rehearsal with a below average amount of nerves (some nerves are good, in my opinion). I finish rehearsing... then it's the turn of the big guns, the real classical singers.

WOW, HOLY SHIT! TURBINES FULL BLAST TO THE FACE! I'm blown away! These guys, this small tiny group from Hampshire, England who only do this once every few months are like totally professional calibre operatic singers. The girls had voices of angels and all of the other guys (all baritones... I was the only tenor, which is probably why I was drafted) all sound like booming... things. I should have thought of a better description.

So I'm sat there, all contemporary with my converse shoes, watching these fully suited people (I didn't realise everyone else was wearing a suit until I got there) put so much passion into their work. These voices filled the entire place.

I'm so nervous at this point. We are going to be performing in front of people who are like total classical music freaks! They love it. Classical to them is what The Beatles are to me.

Run. Run. Run Away! Nathan, you idiot, get out of there.

I didn't. I stuck around. I sang my song.

It went... okay. I was in tune... my Italian pronounciation was okay (yes, I sung in Italian... I only speak English and I sung in Italian, which was horrifying). But, I could hear that my sound was far too contemporary.

I received a few compliments from audience members after. Everyone could tell that this was my first time singing classical. They all had no difficulty spotting my contemporary roots.

So this was, in a way, a learning experience for me. I learnt that I have a contemporary sound, which is good as really that is what I'm into.

I also learnt, do not mess with classical singers. They are far better people than all of us and should be treated as such :)

Good post, Nathan. I've only seen one western classical singer perform live here in my city in a country far away from the west, and her voice completely filled the small auditorium. It was just her and the pianist. So beautiful. Later I asked her if she had any tips and the only thing she said was 'work on breathing - sloooooow in, slooooooooooow out' : ).

I have nothing but the utmost respect for everything you do. Us contemporary guys, we cannot compete with your brilliance. We are good, but we ain't THAT good!

Last night I sang Scarlatti's 'O Cessate Di Piagarmi' in a church. I attend the rehearsal with a below average amount of nerves (some nerves are good, in my opinion). I finish rehearsing... then it's the turn of the big guns, the real classical singers.

WOW, HOLY SHIT! TURBINES FULL BLAST TO THE FACE! I'm blown away! These guys, this small tiny group from Hampshire, England who only do this once every few months are like totally professional calibre operatic singers. The girls had voices of angels and all of the other guys (all baritones... I was the only tenor, which is probably why I was drafted) all sound like booming... things. I should have thought of a better description.

So I'm sat there, all contemporary with my converse shoes, watching these fully suited people (I didn't realise everyone else was wearing a suit until I got there) put so much passion into their work. These voices filled the entire place.

I'm so nervous at this point. We are going to be performing in front of people who are like total classical music freaks! They love it. Classical to them is what The Beatles are to me.

Run. Run. Run Away! Nathan, you idiot, get out of there.

I didn't. I stuck around. I sang my song.

It went... okay. I was in tune... my Italian pronounciation was okay (yes, I sung in Italian... I only speak English and I sung in Italian, which was horrifying). But, I could hear that my sound was far too contemporary.

I received a few compliments from audience members after. Everyone could tell that this was my first time singing classical. They all had no difficulty spotting my contemporary roots.

So this was, in a way, a learning experience for me. I learnt that I have a contemporary sound, which is good as really that is what I'm into.

I also learnt, do not mess with classical singers. They are far better people than all of us and should be treated as such :)

while this is generally true, and i respect classical / opera singers very highly...please keep in mind roger cain once wrote that singers of rock set new standards for range. there are many classically trained vocalists that work backwards to learn how to sing other genres.

They are normal people with a different set of techniques to fill in a different kind of taste for music. While I truly respect and admire them for their mastery of technique, I wouldn't like sounding like them at all, no matter what. That's just not my taste. And vice versa, probably :)