Coverdale - Excerpt from Judgement Day

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello there again, it´s been awhile.

I recently brought up my singing again after sickness and a journey to Brazil. I have been practising now for a few weeks focusing on head voice and support. Today i tried singing a song by Whitesnake called Judgement Day. It was tough mainly because of the rasp i put into my voice to achieve the tone of Coverdale. What do you think about this clip and what could be improved?

Thanx in advance/ Ola

www.box.net/shared/k11dmblrof

At first glance it sounds pretty great, man! Congrats! But it sure would be cool to listen to it without the heavy delay and I suggest you try to improve the clarity of your consonants a bit.

Thanx for your answer, Jonpall.

Well, as you noticed there are some delays, but i can upload the same clip without delays. Here it is:

www.box.net/shared/y8essrnxoo

No, wrong, here is the right one without delay:

www.box.net/shared/zhxmt5t7ep

Cool. How did it feel when you sang it? Did it hurt your throat? One thing that came to mind when I listened to your clip is that you may want to be aware of that you're not singing unmodified vowels that are hard to twang, like Oh and Oo. When you're doing high pitched distortion like this, it's usually a bad idea to create too much space in your throat, which some vowels tend to do, if you don't modify them.

Hi, again, Jonpall!

No, my throat wasn´t hurt, if it was i would have stopped immiediately. i remember i had to support extra hard for those oo vowels. Any suggestions how i could modify them so they are easier to sing?

I think as your abdominal muscles train, you will find support easier to maintain. That fact that your throat was not hurting is a good sign. You don't sound like Coverdale. And please, believe me, I mean that as a good thing. Granted, I like Coverdale's sound, too. It's distinctive. And so is yours. I'm not saying this just to be nice or be your cheerleader or because I am a soft kind of guy. (Actually, I am 6' 6" (2 meters) tall, 230 lbs, I have trained in 8 styles of martial arts, including some hand-to-hand combat strategy from my friend, Lee, a US Navy SEAL, 1964 - 69, Da Nang, Viet Nam, and have no problems defending my family and country without hesitation and without remorse.)

Seriously, you were doing fine, even if you didn't sound like a carbon copy of Coverdale. As long as you can do the notes with the sound effect that you can manage without hurting, you're doing fine. As long as you are on pitch, fine. The only way to sound like David Coverdale is to grow up with the upper London accent, receive a similar education, have the same height, bone structure, neurology and musculature of the throat, and same emotions, get married and then separated from Tawny Kitaen, etc. Go through throat surgery. In essence, the only way to truly sound like David Coverdale is to be David Coverdale.

As Olem, you sounded just fine. And much more relaxed than on your Brian Johnson takes, in my opinion.

Hello, Ron!

Thanx for your answer, Ron, i think you are a guy not to mess with. I agree with you totally, :). I have issues with pulling chest, and have worked with getting to my head voice with a clean tone without too much weight. But i like meaty tones, ala Dickinson and Lou Gramm for example so i stick with that when i sing songs. I have found that to have a meaty tone + rasp means your support has to be great and it´s much more difficult than to have a clean meaty tone, at least for me.

My intention is to have his kind of tone, not to sound exactly like him, that as you said is impossible.

Archived