twangless

Rate this topic

Matt

I have a sneaking suspicion that I have no twang in my tone, which may not only restrict my range but also give it less clarity and cut. Anyone agree or am I being paranoid? Please dare to be critical, telling me the truth will help me ;)

You're right - there's no twang there. But that's not what limits your pitch range.

Although we can't see you, from the sound, my guess is that you are pushing your chin forwards, and pulling down the back of your neck, with your shoulders pulled inward from right and left towards your neck. The muscles behind your jaw (stylo-hyoid and stylo-glossus) are both tighter than they should be. To free the stylo-glossus a little (one of the tongue muscles), gently press the tips of your index fingers into the dip just underneath the ear behind the jaw, and do some gentle 'micro-massage' in the gap between jaw and skull the 1cm just below this. You could even gently press on this, and practise singing a couple of open vowels, and see if this opens up the sound at all and make it feel more comfortable in the throat.

Cheers. Alexander

http://www.OxfordSingingLessons.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/voicewisdom

another very interesting post. its a bit late for me to dare experiment too much, but just checking softly, it does seem that the back of my tongue falls back as I ascend on a siren, so Ill check this out some more tomorrow. keep 'em, coming. Thanks!

You just don't have a LOT of it. It might be cool and add spark to your voice if you added slight twang as a kind of a sound in the background, i.e. higher overtones, without reducing your lower overtones, but frankly, you sound great as you are, IMO.

You can have tons of twang, like there is no tomorrow and still sound nothing like a witch. Case in point - opera singers. They all have loads of twang, but many singers only associate twang with Rob Halford and people from Texas.

Stylistically, this is a pretty darn good vocal. I'm not sure how much twang, cut, etc. you would want in this particular song, since the song and the arrangement are somewhat intimate. Perhaps you could record something that requires you to sing with more intensity?

Seriously, my "voice teacher" ears hear some tension, occasional lack of cord closure and some impurity of vowels. However, my "music fan" ears dig it!

If you were going to sing something from "Miss Saigon" or Josh Groban with the same coordinations, then you might have a problem. Here, I think your technique is serving the song.

Try "moving" the sound around inside your mouth, back, forth, up, down, until you find a sweet spot that seems to turbocharge the higher frequencies, especially for higher notes. It's located close to your soft palate, i.e. back and up. Quacking and similar sounds can also help you get started but eventually you'd probably want to lose that duck sound by keeping the twang but darkening your sound and adding some meat to it. Good luck!

It's tough to compare those two takes because the first one had backing music. But in the second clip, I can hear some twang, sure. Not too much and not too little, I'd say.

Sometimes I think we should start using a different name for this sound than "twang". So many people get confused and think of a duck sound or a guy from Texas. But just because twang creates high overtones in the 3k range doesn't mean that you can have low overtones at the same time. Perhaps we should use the term "ring" or "ping" or something? "Epiglottis narrowing" would be the most accurate term but unfortunately it's a bit of a mouthful. Just thinking out loud.

I'm not sure if it's even possible to be twangless??

Not sure if someone mentioned this before here, but try singing with a wide mouth. That's how I access my twang.

oh, i don't know know about that stan......barney rubble was pretty twangless...lol!!!

oh, i don't know know about that stan......barney rubble was pretty twangless...lol!!!

hahaha... well i mean, that stretching your mouth is easy to get twang... at least for me. it's like going, "weeeeeeeeeeeee"... and you get that pharyngeal sound.

I think Im losing my lower frequencies when I twang like that. I prefer the first voice, but its missing some cut, bite, ring, clarity.

matt, may i offer a suggestion? the vocals are nice.

perhaps you could try singing it with more open a mouth, and add a little more intensity and little more "umph" to the vowels. i guess what i'm trying to convey is more variance..... or more dynamics