Robert Lunte - Sings Original Tune - "Timeless Chains"

• Administrator

Hey TMV Forum Athletes:

Im still digging out from my tour, but sifting through all the content and stuff... here is a video of yours truly performing an original tune that was written by myself, TVS MCI - Alessandro del Vecchio and shred guitarist/producer, Zack Uidl.

Notice the G4 on "Storm" at 2:48... this is a hard note to sing! Not a in my chest voice, this is in my head voice, but it is covered... this is the result of properly balancing twang vocal mode, in the head voice with good dark formants to create the illusion that Im belting, but Im not. Anyways, its a touch note.

There are some other tough parts in here too. I think my voice breaks once before the guitar solo, but I figure not too bad given that I was jet lagged and had about 10 minutes to warm-up.

Im using the TC-Helicon VoiceTone Create pedal and my trusty "rat mic", an old EV 357 that is about 30 years old, sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNS0uB_23Y

Here are the lyrics:

Timeless Chains

Silently your, beauty took my breath away...

Now comes the rain, can I feel another day.

So much time has past away from that fateful day.

So much time has passed, since you turned away.

Now timeless chains, there's no escape

You walked Away

Just when I started to get my life back under me

Berlin skies of gray, so cold I cannot breath!

I lost mein Frauline in the storm, that marks my destiny

But here I stand defiantly mending a heart ripped to shreds in tragedy

But my face to the wind, Im washed from my sin, but you still keep haunting me

These timeless chains, there's no escape

You walked Away

Just when I started to get my life back under me

So much time has past since that fateful day.

So much time has passed since you turned away.

These timeless chains, there's no escape!

You walked Away

Just when I started to get my life back under me!

Well, thought you all might enjoy listening to it... be gentle... ! LOL! :|

I want that kind of jetlag, then. Looking at you in the video (even though you're pretty distant), it doesn't even seem like it's that much of a struggle to sing this, but then, we hear what's coming out of your mouth and reality punches us in the face once again. I'm actually interested in booking a Skype lesson with you, but there's always something getting in the way lately, and keeps me from finding the time, the rest and/or the vocal health to do it, lol.

• Administrator

Why dont you send me an email to robert@thevocaliststudio.com and we will discuss working with your schedule to get you some sessions. Ill offer anyone on this posting a good deal if your interested. www.thevocaliststudio.com/internet-lessons.

I gave you a harder listen than I give most, as most of us are amateurs or beginners or what-have-you. And totally spot on and it rocked. I liked it personally more than the previous recording you uploaded. That previous was more art rock, which is fine, but I totally dug the "Queensryche" vibe in this one, and I mean that as a high compliment. For it's not just the technical execution of the notes, it is the songwriting, the story telling, what does the song mean to you and does the audience get that. A resounding "hell yeah!" would be in order. Then again, I am not that surprised, because you not only talk the talk, you walk the walk.

And while I may catch grief from others for pointing this out, tough titty said the kitty 'cause the warm milk's all gone. Unlike some of the other vocal coaches and systems I have seen where the "leader" of the system performs, this was astounding. Not a sour note that I could hear. But I have noticed that about your other performances, as well. It doesn't matter what kind of day you had, you deliver, and that is what performing is all about.

And not all system leaders perform, and certainly not like this.

Further proof that you are the real deal. What can I say but "well done".

What I'm hearing here, is that "Vibrato" separates the men from the boys.

While that G4 is not the highest note there is in this song ....the way you hit it was amazing (shivers down the spine lol)

Love to hear any other tracks you have man.

when my life gets back on track,I'm definitely gonna get me some lessons with ya lol

• Administrator

Thanks Chavie, I would be pleased to teach you...and truly, I CAN teach you how to do this... many of my students are learning how, you dont have to be singing for 25 years like me to do it.... You know, vibrato is hard for some people, but you know what really separates the men from the boys and in fact, I often say that very thing to my students... its not vibrato... its singing G4s... specifically, its singing E4-G#4... for men. These low head tones are the hardest notes you can sing and train... they are also the notes you want the most in about every song... so we really focus on them at TVS.

More music is coming! Im going to do a nice studio version of this and film it, and another tune in about 4 weeks. Then Im going to produce a full length progg metal album that kinda sounds like dream theater... to be released in the summer.

thanks for listening.

Why dont you send me an email to robert@thevocaliststudio.com and we will discuss working with your schedule to get you some sessions. Ill offer anyone on this posting a good deal if your interested. www.thevocaliststudio.com/internet-lessons.

Sure. At most, in a couple of weeks from now, you'll get my email. Once again, this performance was shockingly good, even though it's not the first great thing I hear from you.

Awesome performance, sounded a little operatic with that extensively used vibrato and the dark timbred tone. I guess you had a pretty low larynx there to achieve this dark timbred tone, Robert. A tone very similair to Goeff Tates indeed.

• Administrator

Hi Olem... good ears... good call. Yes, the vibrato is kinda heavy, giving it an "operaticy" flavor, your right. I can actually throttle that back and probably should of a little bit... I was probably a bit nervous so the vibrato gun was Gatling... but its ok I guess. You are definently right that the pharyngeal resonance was pretty deep , thus making a more "boomy" overtone.. also, contributing to a more "operaticy" sound.. that was very intentional.

I could definently sing the tune with more "raised" positions of the larynx to get a more contemporary, brighter, rock/metal sound... no problem. In fact I teach my students how to do both and am always very careful to point out that whether you choose to phonate with more "boomy" pharyngeal resonance, achieved through laryngeal dumping techniques we teach at TVS... or choose to do it a slightly easier way and let the larynx float a bit higher for a brighter overtone set... it completely a creative choice. Having said that, I do encourage all contemporary singers and my students to learn the laryngeal dump... most of time, it just sounds better. The Classical people are definently on to something there... I think it sounds better.

This is why I love Queensryches first full length album, "The Warning".. Geoff Tate seemed to get some "boomy", operaticy overtones on that album that he never quite duplicated again... that was probably a creative choice. But anyways.. thanks... Olem... I just like to lead by example and put my singing where my sometimes big mouth is... its important for voice teachers to do so.

Archived