here'a real good question!

Rate this topic

VideoHere

this happened to me literally 30 minutes ago.

let's say you've decided to sing a song a half step lower to ease the reach and to make the song more comfortable to sing. now, you try the song again in the original key (back up the half step) and although it's more effortful in the higher key, you realize your ability to generate the ring and overtones is actually easier and the insidence of occurance of the ring, etc. is more frequent in the higher key. the higher key sounds acoustically more alive than the lower key.

why?

I find singing a song that I know well results in a much better and easier sound that one that I am just learning, so perhaps when you sang it lower first you were able to figure out all the nuances and configurations you needed in the song which made it easier when raised back to normal pitch.

For whatever reason, as one sings a song in a higher key (assuming they can still handle the technical demands), the voice takes on an entirely new vibrancy. I think it might have something to do with the "sweet spot" in each person's particular voice -- that is, the area where the voice functions most efficiently and shines the most.

~~Dante~~

dante, i'm sweeter up there so i guess the effort is worth it?

For me, it kind of worked in reverse.

When I did "Rainbow in the Dark" with a karoake track, I did okay with it. And then was totally inspired and awed by Dio's performance at Wacken, Germany in 2004, which was at least 1/2 step lower than the karoake. And there's no telling which is the original key. For me, live performance is paramount, regardless of what a record producer wants to do. But, anyway, I think Dio's performance at 1/2 step lower than mine was breath-taking, because of the tone.