Yet Another Curbing Range Thread

Rate this topic

eggplantbren

Hi guys. This post covers a common topic on this forum, but I wanted to make my own so I can post clips and get help and hopefully update my progress if I find things working.

I tend to naturally sing in curbing whenever I sing between about C3 and D4, overdrive below that (down to E2) and usually a crappy rendition of neutral if I go higher. As is common for men who haven't figured it all out yet.

I've recently learned how to take overdrive through the passagio, and it's great fun! I kicked ass (by my standards) doing Pearl Jam's Alive at karaoke and using a bunch of overdrive in the higher parts. I did this by following the rules for overdrive, sticking to EH and OH in the high parts, doing the "bite" (joker smile) and getting really loud with lots of energy on the higher notes.

However, I still haven't found what I'm looking for, which is to take curbing up into passagio-ish pitches. I try hard to follow the rules regarding vowels, volume, etc, but it just doesn't seem to work, I usually involuntarily go into some sort of neutral at around E4. I'm thinking maybe I don't really understand what the "hold" is, and I'm losing it as I ascend in pitch. I think I might be sensing that I lose the hold, trying to add it back, but doing some other constriction instead.

Does anyone have suggestions of things to try? I'd be happy to post failure clips.

I'd be happy to post failure clips.

Please do so. Because it might not be what you think it is, and it might help those people in the know to help you.

I'm sorry I can't, but I'm really clueless on curbing.

Sure. Here's a clip of me attempting scales on 'I'. I did a bit better than I thought I would, and actually reached a G4 (albeit somewhat constricted, and with a crack at the end). The A4 totally fails, I go into some sort of neutral with constrictions.

http://lindor.physics.ucsb.edu/Clips/curbing.mp3

Username: forum

Password: lalala

I decided to do some SLS scales (mums, gugs, googs) today, which I haven't done for some months. With my recent CVT knowledge I discovered that I used to perform the SLS scales in neutral! Which kinda defeats the point. SO today I did some whining beforehand, which got the "hold" established, then went into some nice curbing. It's surprisingly easy once you get the coordination right. I think the hold is just foreign to me and I need to practice it. But now I'm slightly confused because I thought my usual chest voice was curbing. Maybe it's actually neutral. Hmm, I'll need to figure that one out. I'll post some more clips tomorrow.